Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

June 28, 2018

1908 "Boston Candy Factory" 124 North Holden Street

124 North Holden, Building was owned by the Griem Brothers and Lula Griem.
Photos found in the collection of Nicholas E. Griem. Johnson County MO Historical Society.
Donor: Mrs. Ruby Maune, 1521 Gold Rain Road, Apt, 92B, Seal Beach, CA 90740
May 22, 1972
124 North Holden, Formerly a two story building was here. The upper story was removed in 1963. This was one of three buildings that burned in 1874. In 1883 a confectionery was here, but by 1893 it was the Jewel Saloon run by W.D. Thurber. It was then a bakery and restaurant for many years, being run by Bundy & Miller in 1900. It was the Moss and Roberts Grocery in 1907, but by 1908 it had become the Boston Candy Factory. It stayed this for several years, but by 1912 it was William Santhuly Fruit & Confectionery. By 1936 it was Greggs Dry Goods and later it became Palmers Dry Goods
SOURCES Of' INFORMATION Warrensburg Sanborn Maps: 1883, 1888, 1893, 1898, 1907, om ris op er 1914. Warrensburg City Directories: 1895, 1900, 1912. William E. Crissey, A History With Folklore, Star Journal, Show-Me RPC Publishing Co Warrensburg M0.  This building later became PENN Jewelry.

RUBY MAUNE - 1972 - Graciously donated this photo the JOCOMO Historical Society just two years prior to her passing in Southern California. We are always grateful for such legacy donations to our historical society so future generations can enjoy and learn about the history of Johnson County, MO.
Ruby Maune
Born: March 26, 1900 Died: December 1, 1974 - 74 years
Seal Beach, Orange County, California 
Other Pictures of the building
Boston Candy Factory and C.P. Lobban Athletic Good
124 North Holden.
Boston Candy Factory building would have been third building down on the right about 1910. Woolworths on left.  Corner of Culton and Holden Street 1942 Picture

Add caption

Penn Jewelry, after second floor removed of original building.

No comments: