Transcribed by Karen Hammer -2009
The first township to be created after the four original townships of the county-Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Jackson, was Warrensburg.
Warrensburg township was organized October 3, 1836, about one year after the organization of the county. It was named for Martin Warren, one of the early settlers.
Geography.-Area, about sixty-four square miles, or 40,960 acres. Geographically, Warrensburg township is on a sand ridge between Post Oak creek on the west side and Bear creek on the east, with both creeks and the ridge itself all running north to Blackwater.
Early Settlements.-One of the early settlers of Warrensburg township was Martin Warren, from whom the township takes its name, who came from Kentucky about 1833 and settled on the present site of the city of Warrensburg. He built a log cabin and reared a large family here. He is described as having been a "plain, old fashioned, conservative farmer and honest man; corpulent in person; without beard; in politics a Whig, though he never sought office." He lived to an advanced age and died here in 1850. Other early settlers who located in this township prior to 1840 were: Abram Adams, Benjamin Granger, Isaac Granger, Thomas Granger, A. B. Granger, Madison Warren, Calvin Adams, John Adams, James Fletcher, Jacob Perman, Archibald Thistle, William Perry, Elijah McCrary, Adam Fickas, David B. Wood, Andrew Blevins, Thomas W. Pace, Marcus A. Turner, Joseph P. Henshaw, James Cochran, James Marshall, James H. Marshall, G. Wilson Houts, Theo. F. Houts, Richard F. Page, James Hallowell, William S. Pertle, John G. Gibbons. Martin Greer, John Cox, James Taylor, James W. Potts, James Guynn, Daniel Lanier, Harrison Lanier, Adkins Powell and William Roop.
Early Churches.-Among the early church organizations in Warrensburg township outside of the city of Warrensburg, the Regular Baptist church was the oldest. It was organized in 1842, four miles south of the city of Warrensburg. and was one of the oldest church organizations of the county. It was built by Adam Fickas and was said to have been largely sustained by him.
The Union Prairie Baptist church was located two miles northeast of Warrensburg in this township. It was organized December 8, 1865, by Elder E. H. Burchfield and the building was erected in 1867. The following ministers served this church during the early days: Elders Jonathan Gott, John Letts, P. J. Collop, J. E. Welch and F. M. West. The following are the names of the first members of this organization: Jonathan Gott, William Adams, Elizabeth F. Adams, Martha Adams. Samson Adams, Eliza J. Knight and Susan Granger. This church was disbanded in May, 1881, and at that time united with the Warrensburg Baptist church.The German Baptist church of Dunkards was organized August 3, 1880, and was situated two miles south of Warrensburg. The original members of this congregation were A. W. Reese, minister; John Bowman, deacon; Joseph E. Lightner. William Mohler, Thomas Adams, Nancy J. Roop, Alice Hall, M. Gibson, Sarah L. Baile, Minnie C. Christopher, Susie E. Reese, Lizzie D. Mohler, Lucinda Bowman, Anna Bowman, Lizzie Fickas and Anna Lightner.Early Schools.-The schools of Warrensburg township were chiefly the schools of Warrensburg town and are given in the history of the town. Some of the teachers, after the organization of the district schools, were: J. W. McGiven, D. S. Redford, Miss Rosa Hooker, W. R. Delaney, T. P. Reid, A. F. Dunbar, Ed. H. Gilbert, W. R. Nelson, A. J. Sparks, Gus Coleman, Miss Rebecca Granger, G. M. Shanton, Miss Mary Emerson, Miss Sallie Zoll, Miss Josie Smith, Miss Sallie Smith, Harvey T. Williams, Miss Frankie A. Miller, Miss Nellie De Garmo, Miss Mattie Zoll, Miss Lizzie Logan. Miss Kate Logan, Mrs. M. D. McCormack, Miss Lizzie McCluney, Miss Nannie Williams.Pertle Springs.-Pertle Springs, which is located about one-half mile south of the city limits of Warrensburg, is one of the most desirable health and pleasure resorts in this section of the state.The land originally belonged to Mr. Purtle, from whom the resort takes its name. Before the advent of the white settlers in Johnson county, Indians often visited this place and recognized the medicinal properties of the water here.The following is an exact analysis of the water made by Prof. P. Schweitzer, professor of chemistry in the University of Missouri, in 1885,"One U. S. gallon left on evaporation a residue weighing when ignited 36.8 grains. This residue contained 2.04 grains silica, 0.56 grains alumina, 7.01 carbonate of lime, 0.67 grains oxide of iron. 6.82 grains magnesia, 16.61 sulphuric acid. Total, 33.71 grains. The difference between this weight and the weight of the total residue amounting to 4.09 grains, consisted of alkalies, carbonic acid, chlorine, and probably some other constituents in small quantities. The water on standing and on boiling deposits all its iron in the form of ferric oxide, and is true chalybeate water."The Pertle Springs grounds comprise eighty acres, of which thirty-six are now owned by Messrs. Gray and Baker. There are nine lakes here. One is devoted exclusively to bathing purposes. One covers sixteen acres and furnishes the water supply for the city of Warrensburg. The other smaller lakes are well stocked with fish and afford excellent fishing places. There is a large and commodious hotel. It has a well-earned reputation for the excellency of its service. Garages and other conveniences for guests are supplied. In addition to the hotel, there are a number of cottages and flats on the grounds for the accommodation of those who prefer their more home-like life. The grounds are beautifully shaded, and there are various amusements for children and adults.Rev. Sam Jones is perhaps responsible for the erection of the large auditorium at Pertle Springs. While conducting a meeting here he realized and foresaw the possibilities of such a building and started the movement which culminated in the building of the auditorium or "Tabernacle."Since then many important conventions and religious and political meetings have been held in this building. The Pertle Springs Silver Convention, one of the important political events of the West which began the crystallization of the campaign for free silver in Missouri, was held here in 1893. William J. Bryan and many other notable men have appeared here.Pertle Springs is connected with the city of Warrensburg by a railroad which runs from the business district of the city, near the Missouri Pacific depot, through the residence district, to the Springs. It is operated during the summer seasons by the management of Pertle Springs. The motor power is both steam and gasoline.Warrensburg Quarries.-The sandstone quarries of Warrensburg township are far famed. In 1870, Jacob Pickel, associated with his two brothers, Peter and Anton, opened at much expense and hard work the first sandstone quarry in Johnson county about two miles north of Warrensburg. A railroad switch was put in, and a steam channeling machine, the latter alone costing $6,000. The lifting was also done by machinery, run by steam.The first large contract was for more than $250,000 worth of stone to be used in the Chamber of Commerce building in St. Louis, Missouri. which covers an entire block. All the stone was cut at the quarry and shipped to St. Louis in perfect condition to be placed.Jacob Pickel furnished the stone for the Kansas City court house, the Southern Hotel, the Barr building, in St. Louis, and many other buildings in these cities, and also the stone used in many of the buildings in Warrensburg. As many as fifteen hundred cars of stone have been shipped annually, or a train load a day. (See further in the family history of Jacob Pickel).The next quarry was opened in 1871 by William Bruce and Company. It was owned by General Cockrell, and leased to Mr. Bruce until 1880, and then sold to Jacob Pickel & Brothers.The third quarry was opened by Bruce & Company in 1881, when they gave up their old quarry and bought a tract near it. This quarry has been run a long time by James B. Millar and his brother, John W. Millar, ex-sheriff of Johnson county. It is no longer operated.
Schwenk, Adam – age 40, born Pennsylvania, stone mason, CenterviewFisher, Nathan, - age 53, born Missouri, stone mason, GroveRowlett, John W. – age 48, born Kentucky, brick mason, GroveCarney, A.S. – age 30, born Ohio, mason, HoldenCary, Bartley – age 76, born New Jersey, stone mason, HoldenCassady, Samuel – age 33, born Illinois, marble cutter, HoldenLehey, Maurice – age 48, born Ireland, stone mason, HoldenFerguson, Francis – age 56, born Tennessee, brick mason, JacksonWear, John C. – age 31, born Missouri, stone mason, JacksonBass, Mathew – age 41, born Pennsylvania, brick mason, WarrensburgBrooks, Charles – age 62, born Indiana, stone mason, WarrensburgDennison, Charles – age 37, born England, stone mason, WarrensburgRidge, George – age 30, born Missouri, stone mason, WarrensburgShuford, James – age 47, born North Carolina, brick mason, WarrensburgWade, James R. – age 44, born Kentucky, b&c mason, WarrensburgBrittan, Benjamin – age 61, born Massachusetts, stone mason, WarrensburgBraumer, William – age 44, born Kentucky, stone cutter, WarrensburgAustin, C.B.D. – age 36, born Ohio, stone cutter, WarrensburgHall, James – age 35, born Pennsylvania, stone cutter, WarrensburgHathaway, Jack – age 31, born Illinois, stone cutter, WarrensburgMaxfield, George – age 24, born Illinois, agt. stone, WarrensburgTalbott, Julian – age 19, born Ohio, stone cutter, WarrensburgValmer, John – age 21, born Indiana, stone cutter, WarrensburgBrown, J.L. – age 34, born Ohio, works a stone quarry, WarrensburgBruce, William – age 35, born Scotland, propr &supt of stone quarry, WarrensburgCline,Jno. F. – age 39, born Ohio, eng. at stone quarry, WarrensburgElliott, F.F. – age 23, born Kentucky, stone quarry worker, WarrensburgMcBride, Michael – age 30, born Pennsylvania, stone cutter, WarrensburgBretten, Benjamin – age 60, born Kentucky, stone mason, WashingtonSource: 1880 U.S. Federal Census
Justices.-The following are the justices of the peace of the township as far back as the county court records show, with dates of their election: 1842, Nathaniel B. Holden: 1844, Thomas J. Young, Harvey Harrison, George A. Roberts, John G. Gibbons; 1850, John Anderson; 1852, William F. Marshall, John T. Neff, James Borthick, Daniel Rentch; 1856, Aikman Welch, Eli M. Sylvester; William S. Crammer, George W. Campbell; 1860, Daniel Rentch, Nathan H. Owings; George W. Campbell, Alex Marr; 1864, George W. Swan, David W. Reed; 1866, Edward Corder, David W. Reed; 1866, Edward Corder, David W. Reed; 1870, John H. Taylor, J. P. Steele; 1878, S. J. Burnett, O. D. Hawkins, W. C. Marlatt; 1882, W. C. Marlatt; S. J. Burnett, G. Wilson Houts; 1886, G. Wilson Houts, William C. Marlatt, S. J. Burnett; 1890, Henry Neill, Charles Anderson, John W. Brown; 1892, S. J. Burnett; 1894, John W. Brown, George F. Brinkerhoff, William Beleau; 1898, John W. Brown, J. A. Bridges, W. R. Hatfield; 1900,. Jacob H. Knaus; 1902, John W. Brown, John B. Lampkin, J. H. Knaus; 1904, George W. Rayhill; 1906, John W. Brown, W. H. Bunn, George W. Rayhill; 1910, P. B. Robinson, W. H. Bunn. J. R. Rothwell; 1912, John W. McFarland; 1914. John W. McFarland, D. Aber, George W. Rayhill.
County Officers.-The following are the county officers who have been elected from the township since 1882. with the dates of their election:1882-90-Pitt William (Democrat), collector.1882-W. P. Hunt (Democrat), presiding county judge.1882-8-4-W. W. Wood (Democrat), prosecuting attorney.1882-84-86-W. K. Morrow (Democrat), circuit clerk.1884-86-George W. Lemon (Democrat), prosecuting attorney.1886-R. M. Robertson (Republican), prosecuting attorney.1888-90-Robert F. Dalton (Democrat), treasurer.1888-90-J. W. Suddath (Democrat), prosecuting attorney.1888-90-W. L. Embree (Democrat), collector.1892-94-Y. W. Whitsett (Democrat), treasurer.1892-T. C. Hornbuckle (Democrat), prosecuting attorney.1892-94-E. T. Pennington (Democrat), collector.1892-P. F. McCluney (Democrat), public administrator.1894-R. M. Robertson (Republican), representative.1894-J. A. Houston (Democrat), coroner.1896-\V. Selvidge (Democrat), school commissioner.1896-Mary A. Pennington (Democrat), recorder, appointed.1896-1900-S. J. Caudle (Democrat), public administrator.1896-98-N. M. Bradley (Democrat), prosecuting attorney. 1896-98-Franklin Miller (Democrat), collector. 1896-98-W. M. Hamilton (Democrat), representative. 1898-Jason McElvaine (Democrat), school commissioner. 1898-1902-C. A. Boyles (Democrat) county collector. 1898-1902-William H. Henshaw (Democrat), circuit clerk. 1900-02-H. H. Russell (Democrat), treasurer. 1900-1902-C. E. Morrow (Democrat), prosecuting attorney. 1904-G. L. Callaway (Democrat), coroner. 1904-06-Ewing Cockrell (Democrat), prosecuting attorney. 1904-06-10-Wallace Crossley (Democrat), representative. 1906-08-T. L. Bradley (Democrat), coroner. 1906-10-James L. Robinson (Democrat), recorder. 1910-14-^G. C. Gillam (Democrat), collector. 1910-1-1-P. D. Fitch (Democrat), presiding county judge. 1912-John W. Miller (Democrat), sheriff. 1912-14-W. C. McDonald (Democrat), prosecuting attorney. 1914-Theodore Hyatt (Democrat), collector. 1916-J. R. Rothwell (Democrat), prosecuting attorney. 1916-E. A. Williams (Democrat), public administrator. 1915-R. H. Boston (Democrat), school superintendent.County Road Improvements.-County road improvements made by Warrensburg township since this system was established in 1911, were up to January 1, 1918, thirteen in number, and aggregated $753 furnished by the citizens of the township and $746 by the county.Organizations.-The following is a complete list of all organizations of every kind in Warrensburg township. Full details of each organization are in separate chapters on the different organizations:Churches.-Baptist: Brethren, Warrensburg; Brethren, South, Warrensburg: Catholic; Christian; Christian Science: Cumberland Presbyterian: Episcopal: Evangelical Association; Latter Day Saints: Methodist: Methodist, Houts' Chapel; Methodist, South; Presbyterian.Negro Churches.-Shiloh Baptist church; Methodist; African M. E.: Colored M. E.Business Organizations.-American Trust Company, Citizens Bank, Commercial Bank, People's Bank, Home Telephone Company.Homemakers Clubs.-Clover Heights, Good Neighbors, Prairie Home.Fraternal Organizations.-Masons. Blue Lodge; Masons, Mary Commandery; Knights Pythias, Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen, Elks, Maccabees, Eastern Star, Royal Neighbors. Degree of Honor, Rebekahs, Yeomen, Knights and Ladies of Security.Miscellaneous Organizations.-A. B. C. Club, D. A . R., G. A. R., Confederate Veterans, Political Equality Club, W. R. C, Women's Christian Temperance Union. United Daughters of Confederacy. City Mission. P. E. O., Commercial Club, Automobile Club.1917 War Organizations.-County Council of Defense; Home Guards Committee; Red Cross, Warrensburg Chapter; Hospital Garments Committee, Knitting Committee; Surgical Dressing Committee; Junior Red Cross; War Funds Committee; Home Guards, Warrensburg Normal School.WARRENSBURG.Warrensburg, the county seat, is a little east of the center of the county, 65 miles from Kansas City.
Warrensburg was made the county seat in 1836. It was named in honor of Martin Warren.Warrensburg was laid out and platted by George Tibbs, then county surveyor, in 1S36, and the plat was recorded May 22, 1837. The lots were 72 feet wide and 144 feet deep, with 14-foot alleys. This was what is now "Old Town."When the Missouri Pacific railroad was built, the main business district of the town moved east near where the depot was built and now stands.A number of additions have been officially added, mostly east of the old town until the present area of the city is several times the size of the original town.Early Establishments.-In 1836 John Evans opened the first store in Old Town and for the following six years there were only two stores in the village. Evans conducted a general mercantile store, selling groceries, dry goods, hardware and whiskey. This store stood in the hollow a little east of the center of the town. W. H. Davis & Co. were the first to open a store on the hill near the center of the old town. The town soon began to prosper and in a short time was an important business center and settlers came from a radius of several miles to do their trading here.The town was extended eastward into the district known as New Town by the official platting of Grover's Depot Addition. October 18, 1857. It seems that according to a contract with the railroad company the depot was to be erected on Colonel Grover's land, forty acres of which were donated for that purpose, but by mistake or otherwise, it was located on Major Holden's land, one-half mile .further west. Holden street, on the west side of which the depot is located, is the dividing line between Grover's and Holden's Addition. Martin Warren's old log house stood in the Grover Addition and Colonel Grover resided there for a time. The memory of the old log house will be forever perpetual in the history of Warrensburg. When they came to lay out Grover's Depot Addition it was seen that Gay street continued east past Holden street in a straight line and would go right through the old log house. So, instead of moving the house. Colonel Grover moved the street. He diverted it enough south to miss the house. Every other street running east was correspondingly diverted and the, north and south streets left north and south. And today every street from Gay to the railroad and east of Holden street runs at an angle southeast and no lot in this territory has a square corner.The general tendency of business was toward New Town and when the railroad was built and the depot established here, practically the entire business district was established in that vicinity. This was in 1845.Fires.-Most of the business buildings were frame. Among the first merchants to establish themselves in New Town prior to 1865 were Ming & Cruce, Henry Neill. A. H. Gilkeson & Co., Henry Bros., and De Garmo, Schmidlap & Co. All these business houses and a large part of the town were burned December 24, 1866.On November 29, 1873, another fire destroyed the hotel, several business places and cost the lives of three persons. Since then, with the business district chiefly brick and stone, there have been no such fires.Early Hotels.-The first hotel in Warrensburg was built in 1837 by Young E. W. Berry. It was located on the north side of the public square in Old Town and was a small log house of six or seven rooms. He sold it in 1840 to John Mayes, and he in 1842 sold to Joseph McLeary, and he in 1856 to John D. Smith. Smith improved it and called it the Mansion House. At the breaking out of the war. Smith died and the hotel was closed.The second hotel, also log, was opened in 1841 by Zacariah T. Davis on the southeast side of the public square. Davis ran the place for about six or seven years, when he sold it to \Y. H. Anderson, who afterward rented it to Daniel Rentch. Anderson finally sold it to Thomas Ingle, who kept hotel here during the war, and was succeeded by Col. J. D. Eads. In 1876 he sold it to the Germania Club.The third hotel was built by James Bolton in 1857 on the south side of the public square in Old Town. In 1861, it was taken by the soldiers and used for a hospital and guard house all during the war. It practically marked the end of the hotel business in Old Town.The first hotel in New Town was in 1865, when the Redford House was built south of the Missouri Pacific railroad depot. This was destroyed by fire in 1868 and the Simmons Hotel was built on its site. This was finally bought by Mr. J. N. Christopher and converted into the town's first school dormitory, the Young Women's Christian Association building, and is successfully running now.In 1870, a building at the southeast corner of Holden and Culton streets was erected for the Cumberland Presbyterian church. In 1875, it was bought by A. W. Ridings & Company and enlarged for a hotel. A little later it was bought by Mrs. J. D. Eads, and became for many years the Eads Hojel and only recently was replaced by Cohn's store.Early Schools.-Maj. N. B. Holden taught what was probably the earliest school here during the winter of 1839-40. He afterward became prominent in this section. He served in the Mexican War and during the Civil War was assassinated September 12, 1862.Joel H. Warren was one of the pioneer teachers of Warrensburg. He was a grandson of Martin Warren, from whom Warrensburg took its name. He studied medicine with Dr. William Calhoun and practiced in Cass county prior to the Civil War. He served in the Union army and after the war practiced medicine at Knob Noster for a number of years.William Harrison Anderson taught a select or subscription school in Warrensburg in a private house in 1842. The instruction given by him included arithmetic, geography, reading, writing and spelling. His school numbered twenty-five pupils, who paid a tuition of one dollar and fifty cents a month. Mr. Anderson later engaged in the grocery business at Warrensburg and for a number of years was prominently identified with the commercial development of the city and was the father of Dr. James I. Anderson.George W. Johnson, a graduate of William Jewel College and a Baptist minister, taught a private school in Old Town from 1857 to 1860. When the war broke out he entered the Confederate army, serving throughout the war. Later he became prominent as an educator in the south and at one time was president of a young ladies' seminary at Jackson, Tennessee.Eliza Thomas, Z. T. Davis and Robert A. Foster were also pioneer teachers of Warrensburg. A man named Jewel was teaching here when the Civil War broke out. He enlisted in the Federal army and was killed during the war.After the Civil War.-During the Civil War nearly everything in Warrensburg and Johnson county was at a standstill, building, schools, churches and business generally. After the war everything took a new start. The best pictures of Warrensburg right after the war are contained in the following interview with Mr. William Lowe, written by W. C. Kapp and printed in the ''Warrensburg Star-Journal" of May 5, 1916. on the fiftieth anniversary of Mr. Lowe's residence in Warrensburg, and in the address of Maj. E. A. Nickerson at the dedication of the Odd Fellows Hall. November 12, 1917. Mr. Lowe said: "When I came, there was only one passenger train a day. It left St. Louis at 8 o'clock in the morning, struggled along with wood fuel, managing to get to Jefferson City for dinner. The train would make Sedalia in time for supper and my recollection is that we got to Warrensburg about 8 in the evening-just 12 hours after we pulled out of St. Louis. The fare from St. Louis here was $12.50. I think there were about 1,000 people here then and fully a third of them were negroes. I stopped the first night over in the west part of Old Town. I remember when I got up next morning I saw a regular procession of negroes going by and I asked the folks if the whole population were colored folks. They explained to me that there had been a soldiers' camp in a field west of town. The soldiers had built a lot of huts for winter quarters and when they left these the negroes took possession-that's how that section of Warrensburg came to be called 'nigger town' and it is the favorite negro haunt yet."I can think of only one business man who was in business then- Uncle Ike Rogers had a harness shop in Old Town when I arrived, and he is here yet. Then there's Major Nickerson, Judge Brown, Sandy Lobban, Doctor Griggs, W. E. Crissey, John Scroggs. Tom Lawlor, Bob Mears, Clint Middleton and probably others. Oh, yes. Orl Still-well was here. Orl wasn't selling autos then, he was selling clothing for Sam Rosenthal, a brother of Henry."Some of the kids about town then were Ernest Johnson, Dug Eads, Merritt Simmons, Mel Moody, John A. Miller."How big was the town then? Well, I might say it was bounded by the railroad on the south. Gay street on the north, Holden street on the east, and Old Town on the west. There were five or six houses east of Holden street, likely, but Gay and Holden streets were about the limit. The whole third ward was a brush patch. In 1868 I built the first house in the third ward. It stood where Frank Ross now lives."Holden street stopped at North street. If you wanted to go north you had to go to Old Town and take the old Lexington road. If you wanted to go south, you had to cross the railroad at the depot-there were no bridges."There was a daily stage line to Lexington and also to Clinton and one could travel north and south from Warrensburg even better than we can today."What improvements did we have then? Nothing at all, except a lot of cheap frame buildings. There wasn't a brick house in New Town, and no bank until the fall of 1866. As for streets, all we had was the brush cut away so wagons could get along. Our business houses were all on West Pine street in the block between Nathan's corner and the Ross store. There were one or two little shacks on Holden street. They had made a little fill on Holden street in front of where Cohn's store is and that made a fine fish pond where the Cohn building stands. It was at least ten feet deep."As for morals, Warrensburg was. decidedly western then, and had plenty of saloons. Almost every store had a jug in the back room to treat customers. We had two little churches, and nary a school house. The first school house here was for colored people: it was built in 1867 by the Freedmen's Aid Society. The Reece school was built in 1868. I built the Foster school in 1870."The town was divided between Old and New Towns, no sidewalks and streets not graded. Old Town had the court house, the postoffice, and all the lawyers.But of course everything gradually drifted to New Town."As for rents, wages, etc., in 1866 rents were higher than now; a two-room house would rent for $15 a month, four-rooms for $30. Clothes were three times higher than now; overalls, $3 a pair; shoes, double; flour, $10 a 100. Lumber was $5 per 100 and higher. All improvements were the very cheapest because everybody expected to go back east as soon as they got rich or skinned the other fellow. But a few of us are here yet and our record is open to the public."I am doing business at the old stand where I located in 1868. I have sold lumber to several fourth generations. To the Harrison family I have sold to the fifth generation. I have seen the town of Warrensburg grow from a typical Western hamlet to the little city of modern proportions. I have had the satisfaction of seeing all the saloons go, and a city of schools take their place."Major Nickerson said:"The New Town was commenced at the foot of Holden street where a little wooden passenger and freight depot stood on the Missouri Pacific railway where the passenger depot now stands, and a string of one-story wooden store-houses straggled along on West Pine street. There were no houses south of the railway except a small frame hotel that stood on the corner where the Young Women's Christian Association building now stands. An ordinary country road ran up a steep hill to South street, and then ran southeast across the grounds where the Normal School buildings now stand, to Maguire street, which was then the main road to Clinton, and from South street onward towards the south there were no streets but all was brush and woods."I built my residence in the woods and when I went to see the workmen, my only road was the center of Holden street along the surveyor's line, a cut of four feet with a thick brush on either side, to the place where the work was being done."The political and social condition of the place was in a state of civil chaos. The camp gangs that had followed in the wake of both armies lingered around and about the place, many of them having their homes in this county, rode from Texas to Iowa, robbing the people of their property and murdering strangers from other states who came to buy land and settle amongst us. When these roving criminals were in Texas they claimed to be Confederate soldiers, and when they were in Iowa they passed as discharged soldiers from the Union army. When any of the gang was in Warrensburg they made their headquarters at a grog shop kept by an old man whom they affectionately called 'Uncle Billy,' and when they imbibed their Uncle Billy's fire water and got drunk they ranged the streets of the town and shot it up in true cowboy's style; they urged their horses into the store rooms, discharged their fire arms and terrorized the owners and their clerks. When they met a man who had a good horse, mule or saddle, they forced an exchange for their worthless trappings and overridden, broken-down stock, at the point of the pistol, and if they resisted they insulted and beat their victim. They dominated the town in every way, and by their criminal, brutal force made Warrensburg an unfit place for human habitation."Churches.-The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was the earliest organization of any church in Warrensburg. A small class was established in 1848. In 1856 a building was put up, and in 1862 it was burned. Regular services began again in 1870, under Rev. C. C. Woods, and have been continued since. The present building was dedicated in August, 1908.The Baptist church was organized in February, 1850. by Elders J. Farmer, D. W. Johnson, W. P. C. Caldwell and Amos Horn, in the Masonic Hall in Old Town, Membership was scattered during the Civil War; reorganized thereafter, and then progressing steadily since. The present building was erected in 1903.The Presbyterian church was organized May 30. 1852, by Rev. A. V. C. Schenck and Elder L. Green. Met regularly during the Civil War, and in 1873 built a fine new brick church. United July 11, 1906 with those members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church that approved the union of the two churches. Built their present building in 1910.The Christian church was organized in 1859, and reorganized January 11, 1868. Church erected in 1867 on south side of Gay street between Washington avenue and Warren street. Present building erected.The Methodist church was organized August 3, 1865, by Rev. J. Wesley Johnson. Brick church built in 1871 and present church in 1893. both on the same site.The Catholic church was organized in 1866 by Father Calmer, of Sedalia. First mass was held on the first Sunday after Christmas, in 1866, in the church building. Present building corner-stone laid in 1883 and completed in 1886.The Cumberland Presbyterian church was organized September 23, 1866. First pastor was Rev. J. B. Morrow. Meetings were held at different places, including the Presbyterian church, until their first church was built in 1875. Present building was erected.The Episcopal church, Christ Church parish, was organized in April, 1868, by Rev. W. H. D. Hatton. First frame church was built in 1872. Present building completed in 1900.The Evangelical Association was organized in 1869. Rev. M. Alspaugh was the first minister. It bought and rededicated the old Presbyterian church on north side of Gay street between Washington and Warren streets in 1873. Present building was erected.The Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints was organized February 21, 1893, northwest of Warrensburg. Dedicated their present church in Warrensburg, May 7, 1916.The Christian Science Society is represented in Johnson county and in 1916 permanently established itself in its own building in Warrensburg at Culton and Miller streets.The Brethren church of Warrensburg was organized in 1914. The members originally all belonged to the church two miles south of Warrensburg, and built in town for their convenience, as their numbers increased.Of the Negro churches, the Baptist church was organized 1864, the Methodist in 1866. The African Methodists and Colored Methodists also have church organizations here.Cemeteries.-The old cemetery contained four acres and was laid out in 1840 by the county; bought from Martin Warren by the county. and used as a county burying ground. The first person buried there was I. Davenport, and his grave marked by slab of red sandstone about four by eighteen inches. The inscription was "Dead. I. Davenport, Nov., in 1840," roughly cut as by an axe. Some other early inscriptions. were:"Margaret, Dau. of William and Elizabeth Gilkeson, died August 5, 1845; aged 8 years, 11 months, 7 days.""Robert F., son of W. L. and N. Poston, born Sept. 16, 1833; was drowned May 16, 1852."The new cemetery was laid out in 1868, by G. W. Colbern, and was his own property till he gave it to the city in 1880. The first person buried there was the infant, John Miller, Jr., aged eight months, son of John Miller.Schools After the Civil War.-The schools of Warrensburg were practically at a standstill during the period of the Civil War, from 1861 to 1865. After the war, the public school system received prompt attention and Warrensburg soon gained a reputation throughout the state for the high standard of its schools. The first substantial public school was built in 1845 in Old Town.Warrensburg was organized into a separate school district April 18, 1866. The names of the first school officers to serve under the new organization were: A. W. Reese, president; Melville U. Foster, secretary; Jehu H. Smith, treasurer; Elias Stillwell, John Rogers and Nelson Dunbar.The new school board immediately organized the school system on a substantial basis, provided ample accommodations and procured competent teachers. The principal teachers selected were Rev. Matthew Bigger and S. L. Mason for the white schools, and Rev. M. Henry Smith for the colored schools. Each was paid $100 a month.The first Reese school building was built in 1867 and the Foster school building was completed in 1870.The first high school was started in 1870. The present high school building was erected in 1896 and its first class was graduated in 1897. At first the work consisted of a two-years course. In 1898 this was changed to the three-years course and in 1904 to a four-year course. In 1907 it became a first-class high school, receiving full credit by the State University. Its graduates are admitted to the State University as freshmen and to the State Normal School as juniors.The school is well equipped and gives the choice of Latin and English courses. The complete list of courses given is as follows: English, 4 years; Latin, 4 years; mathematics, 4 years-advanced arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry; history, 4 years-ancient, mediaeval and modern, English, American (and government); physical sciences, 3 years-physics, physical geography, botany and zoology.The following is a complete list of Warrensburg school superintendents: 1870-79, J. J. Campbell: 1879-1884, J. F. Starr: 1884-1891, B. F. Pettis; 1891197, F. E. Holiday: 1897-1900, Leon W. Martin; 1900-1902, J. Matt Gordon; 1902-10, W. E. Morrow; 1910 to present. Edward Beatty.Mills.-The first mill in Warrensburg was built about 185G, by William Dougherty about a half mile southwest of Old Town. It was a large three-story brick building, with stone around lower story and two run of burs. This mill was kept running during the war, though several times the soldiers took all his grain. After the war he sold to his brother-in-law, John Smith, who ran two or three years and then moved the mill to Holden, where it was running successfully in 1880.The "Eureka Mills," well known to many of us, was built in 1867 by Land, Fike and Company. It was one of the largest mills in the West, costing $40,000. Eleven hands were kept at work, besides eight or ten coopers making barrels for them, and shipped an average of a carload of 125 barrels daily. (See history of W. L. Hyer, who was with this establishment from an early day.) The Roseland Company now owns the property.The Warrensburg Grain Elevator & Mill was built in 1869 by S. M. and E. C. Fitch. It has had many changes, was destroyed by fire, but its successor is still doing a large and increasing business at the same place.The Magnolia Mill was completed October, 1879, and owned by W. H. Martman and Isaac Markward. It has had very few changes of ownership, has greatly increased in size and business, and is now owned by the Magnolia Milling & Investment Company, a corporation in which Messrs. Daniel Bullard and H. F. Kirk are the active members. It is the only mill now in Warrensburg making flour, making one brand, the Crystal, which is very unusual and normally can always sell more than they can manufacture.Old Miscellaneous Industries.-Among the industries of Warrensburg that have lived and gone are:1. The Warrensburg Brewery established in 1865 by Philip Gross; made as high as 2,000 barrels of beer annually: was burned down by the temperance forces in 1873: rebuilt, and finally last operated about 1910 by Mr. Murche.
|P. Gross Brewery, 1883 Warrensburg, Missouri|
2. The Edward L. DeGarmo & Company, woolen mills, built in 1867, and that used to turn out 200 yards of goods daily, besides buying' annually 30,000 pounds of wool sold as yarn.
3. The foundry of David and W. Y. Urie, founded in 1874. ran on West Pine street, and used to make up 250.000 pounds of iron a year. Mr. William Urie, the last proprietor, moved to Kansas City some time in the eighties. Franz Murche Brewery on West Pine Street about .5 miles West of Holden Street.
|Franz Murche Brewery, Warrensburg, Missouri 1899|
The first agricultural fair was held in 1857, on the ground owned by Col. Ben W. Grover and close to the house. It was soon moved to twenty acres just south of town, run successfully till the war, reorganized after the war. and $15,000 spent in improvements; failed financially, and the grounds bought by Drummond & Bros., who did a fine molasses business there. Subsequently fairs were held and race tracks built northwest of town, north of Electric Springs, there abandoned, then south of town between Holden and Maguire streets and there abandoned finally a few years ago.
The Enoch Clark Library was founded in 1875 by a contribution from Enoch Clark of $200 on condition that the citizens would raise a like amount. They did so, and a good library was established. It was burned January 10. 1877. insurance used to buy new books and reopened with 552 books besides papers.Post office.-Warrensburg post office was established in 1836. John Evans, a bachelor, was the first postmaster. The headquarters in the early days were in the various stores, and so continued for many years after the war. The chief mail from the east arrived late in the-evening, and the writer remembers as a boy joining in a nightly procession of the citizens, most of them with lanterns, to the store where the post office was kept. While the mail was being distributed in the proper boxes, the crowd gradually increased and soon became a very gay and neighborly party. This store was always distinctly the social center of the town. A marked deterioration was noticeable, however, when they took the post office out of the friendly setting of the store and put it in a building by itself. Then carriers were appointed and matters became worse- we didn't have to go for the mail at all. Finally the present, big, hard, business-like government building was secured, and that was the crushing blow. The post office, as a social institution, became absolutely extinct.The complete list of postmasters is as follows: 1836-38, John Evans; 1838-1840, Harvey Dyer; 1840-44, James S. Reynolds; 1844. Flemming H. Brown. Mrs. O. S. Heath. John M. Beard: 1865, Airs. O. S. Heath; 1865-66, D. W. Reed; 1866-1872, Stephen J. Burnett; 1872-76. Josiah Smith; 1876-88, John W. Brown, assistants Henry E. Griffith, William H. Beazell; 1888-1890, H. H. Russell, assistants James M. Williams. Miss Marie Vernaz; 1890-95, Ira A. Day, assistants Rudolph Loebenstein, Fred Day, Harry Day, Miss Mollie Heed: 1895-97, James M. Williams, assistants, Frank A. Plumer. Claud A. Frost: 1897-1903, Peter C. VanMatre, assistants Jo. H. Smith. William T. VanMatre; 1903-06, Mrs. Nellie S. VanMatre; 1906-1914. Jo. H. Smith, assistants Jas. M. Shepherd. Ira A. Day. Charles W. Dixon; 1914 to present, U. A. McBride. assistants James M. Shepherd. Charles W. Dixon. George H. Collins, Charles A. Bridges. T. O. Davenport.City delivery was established in 1899. The first carriers were: William T. VanMatre. Mark Baldwin and Alpheus Adams. The present carriers are: Aubrey F. Smithson. George F. McMahan. James A. Fickas and Carl L. Schaffer.County-wide rural delivery was established in 1902.The old Johnson County History's comments on the enormous postal business in 1880, as follow: "Eight years ago, 20,000 three-cent stamps were ordered each quarter; now 30,000 is hardly enough." Today, there were sold in 1917 $20,000 worth of stamps, or the equivalent of 660,000 three-cent stamps, besides $9,000 worth of stamps to the other seventeen post offices in the county. In 1917. 9,000 money orders were issued of $36,699.94. and 4,500 paid of $27,748.88. (The excess represents chiefly purchases of merchandise from houses outside of the county.)Thrift and war stamps sold in 1918 to March 16 were $20,283.15.The total business of the post office has trebled since July 1, 1918.Incorporation.-Warrensburg was incorporated by the Legislature. November 23, 1855. On the first Monday of April, 1856, the first town election was held. William L. Poston, Sr., Daniel Rentch and Hezekiah E. Depp were judges. The following were elected: John Foushee, mayor: William H. Anderson, William Calhoun, Alexander Marr, and James M. Bratton, councilmen. The first council meeting was at the court house. April 9, 1856. Dr. William Calhoun was elected president pro tempore. Marsh Foster was appointed clerk and Paschal Cork, constable.The following is a complete list of city officers from 1856 to the present time:Mayors.-1856. John Foushee: 1857. Daniel Rentch; 1858, M. C. Goodlet; 1859, David \V. Reed; 1860, Platt B. Walker (April), George W. Campbell (June); 1861, W. L. Upton; 1865, D. W. Reed; 1866, G. Will Houts; 1867-68. G. N. Elliott: 1869, George Ryan; 1870, R. Baldwin; 1871, W. O. Ming: 1872, H. Spore: 1873. B. E. Lemmon; 1874, J. H. Smith; 1875-76. Joseph Brown: 1877, George Stepper; 1878-1881, W. L. Hedges: 1882-86, H. F. Clark; 1887, A. M. Greer, E. N. Johnson; 1888, J. D. Eads; 1889-90. George R. Hunt; 1891-94, Theodore Youngs; 1895-98, Charles E. Clark; 1899-1900, John H. Wilson; 1901-02, George W. Houts, 1903-06, W. D. Faulkner; 1907-08, J. P. Ozias; 1909-10, C. D. Middleton; 1911-12, C. A. Harrison; 1913 to present, W. J. Mayes.Councilmen.-1856, W. H. Anderson. William Calhoun, Alex. Marr. James M. Bratton; 1857, W. S. Hume. W. B. Moody. W. L. Poston, Kas. P. Brooker: 1858, W. H. Anderson. W. B. Moody, W. B. Farmer. James A. Harrison: 1859. W. B. Moody, W. S. Cramnor, W. G. Collins. James P. Brooker: 1860. Ferdinand Ruth. W. M. Collins. J. D. Smith. W. T. Logan: 1861. A. Meyer. W. G. Collins, W. B. Moody, John L. Lobban; 1865, W. B. Moody. James Gillilan, D. .A Johnson, George Reiter: 1866, I. C. Bridges, N. Dunbar. Thomas Evans, Charles Snow; 1867, B. E. Morrow, C. W. Robinson. E. A. Blodgett. N. B. Klaine; 1868, H. C. Fike, S. M. Fitch, S. Schmidlapp, H. W. Harmon; 1869, J. W. Brown. G. W. Houts, H. F. Clark. H. C. Fike; 1870. H. C.Fike, F. F. Clark. W. B. Moody. John Brown: 1871. J. W. Rodgers, James Ward. W. L. DeGarmo, F. X. Wagner: 1872. Nathan Land, E. L. DeGarmo. C. W. Robinson, F. X. Wagner: 1873, W. B. Moody, Warren Shedd, W. C. Rowland, F. X. Wagner; 1874, J. W. Rogers, J. E. Shockey, M. Shryack, W. D. Buck: 1875, Levi Hyer, J. L. Roberts, M. Shryack, J. H. Kinsel: 1876, Levi Hyer. J. L. Roberts, J. A. Shryack, J. H. Kinsel; 1877, Levi Hyer, Josiah Smith; J. A. Shryack, G. F. Heath; 1878, George Reiter. Josiah Smith. W. C. Marlatt, G. F. Heath; 1879, George Reiter, D. T. Faulkner. FI. C. Fike, W. C. Marlatt; 1880, George Reiter, D. T. Faulkner. H. C. Fike, W. C. Marlatt; 1881. First Ward. G. N. Richards. J. A. Shryack: Second Ward, Geo. W. Hout, H. C. Fike. 1882. First Ward, G. N. Richards, Jehu H. Smith; Second Ward, George W. Houts, William E. Crissey. 1883, First Ward. G. N. Richards. Jehu H. Smith; Second Ward, George W. Houts, William E. Crissey. 1884, First Ward, G. N. Richards, Jehu H. Smith; Second Ward, George W. Houts, J. D. Eads. 1885, W. H. Hartman, Jehu FI. Smith; Second Ward, George W. Houts, J. D. Eads. 1886, First Ward, W. H. Hartman, Jacob Hyer; Second Ward, George W. Houts, E. N. Johnson. 1887, First Ward, W\ H. Hartman. Jacob Hyer: Second Ward, George W. Houts, E. N. Johnson. 1888. First Ward, W. H. Hartman, Theodore Youngs; Second Ward. George W. Houts, William H. Anderson, Jr. 1889, First Ward, Aug. Giehl, L. F. Raney; Second Ward, James L. Robinson. G. A. Lobban; Third Ward. J. A. Drummond, \Y. H. McMahan; Fourth Ward, D. J. Clifford. John G. Gilbert. 1890, First Ward. Aug. Giehl. Joseph E. Lightner: Second Ward, James L. Robinson. Jehu H. Smith; Third Ward. J. A. Drummond. W. H. McMahan; Fourth Ward. Daniel J. Clifford. Theodore Youngs. 1891, First Ward, Joseph E. Lightner. M. L. Days: Second Ward, Jehu H. Smith, James L. Robinson ; Third Ward. H. \Y. McMahan. J. A. Drummond; Fourth Ward, Adolph Spiess, D. J. Clifford. 1892. First Ward, M. L. Day, Joseph E. Lightner; Second Ward, James L. Robinson, George W. Houts; Third Ward. David Aber, S. P. Williams; Fourth Ward. D. J. Clifford. George W. Fisher. 1893, First Ward. Joseph E. Lightner, H. A. Cress; Second Ward. George W. Houts, G. A. Lobban; Third Ward, S. P. Williams, W. C. Johnson: Fourth Ward, George W. Fisher. John W. Gossett. 1894, First Ward, H. A. Cress, J. A. Collins; Second Ward, G. A. Lobban, W. L. Embree: Third Ward, W. C. Johnson, Oliver Miller; Fourth Ward, John W. Gossett, George W. Fisher. 1895, First Ward. J. A. Collins. C. W. Cord; Second Ward. W. L. Embree, G. A. Lobban ; Third Ward, Oliver Miller. J. C. Hubbard : Fourth Ward. George W. Fisher. W. L. Hyer. 1896. First Ward. C. W. Cord, J. A. Collins; Second Ward. G. A. Lobban. W. L. Embree: Third Ward, J. C. Hubbard. D. S. Redford: Fourth Ward. W. L. Hyer. Albert Owings. 1897. First Ward, J. A. Collins. M. F. Stillwell; Second Ward, W. L. Embree, J. M. Davenport; Third Ward, D. S. Redford, George P. Ebbs; Fourth Ward, Albert Owings, J. A. Hamrick. 1898. First Ward, M. F. Stillwell, W. O. Davis: Second Ward, J. M. Davenport, W. L. Embree: Third Ward, George P. Ebbs, R. L. Denton: Fourth Ward, J. A. Hamrick, W. S. Dunham. 1899. First Ward, W. F. Stewart, W. O. Davis; Second Ward, J. A. Collins. W. L. Embree, J. A. B. Adcock; Third Ward, George Davenport, R. L. Denton: Fourth Ward, James A. Hamrick, George W. Fisher. 1900, First Ward, M. F. Stillwell, W. F. Stewart: Second Ward, G. A. Gilbert, J. A. Collins: Third Ward, John A. Miller. B. F. Roby; Fourth Ward. George W. Patton. J. A. Hamrick. 1901. First Ward. M. F. Stillwell. John V. Brewer; Second Ward, G. A. Gilbert, J. A. Collins: Third Ward, J. A. Miller, J. P. Ozias: Fourth Ward, George W. Patton, R. R. Cruzen. 1902, First Ward, John V. Brewer, R. A. Breeden: Second Ward, J. A. Collins. E. B. Stockton: Third Ward, J. P. Ozias, David Aber: Fourth Ward, R. R. Cruzen, Louis Fountain. 1903. First Ward. R. A. Breeden, W. B. Russell; Second Ward, E. B. Stockton, W. L. Hickman: Third Ward, David Aber, J. P. Ozias: Fourth Ward, Louis Fountain, J. C. Chambers. 1904. First Ward. W. B. Russell, Henry Love: Second Ward, W.. L. Hickman, E. B. Stockton: Third Ward. J. P. Ozias. David Aber: Fourth Ward, John C. Chambers. L. Fountain. 1905, First Ward. George G. Shryack, Henry Love: Second Ward, W. L. Hickman, E. B. Stockton; Third Ward. T. C. Lauderdale, David Aber; Fourth Ward, L. Fountain, C. Chase. 1906, First Ward. George G. Shryack, Henry Love; Second Ward, F. L. Mayes. W. L. Hickman: Third Ward. T. C. Lauderdale. John A. Miller: Fourth Ward, C. Chase, Fred L. Foster. 1907, First Ward, George G. Shryack, Henry Love; Second Ward. F. L. Mayes, J. V. Murray; Third Ward, T. C. Lauderdale. J. A. Miller; Fourth Ward. C. Chase, Fred L. Foster. 1908. First Ward, George G. Shryack, Dr. O. B. Hall; Second Ward, J. V. Murray. F. L. Mayes: Third Ward. T. C. Lauderdale, C. D. Middleton: Fourth Ward, C. Chase, Fred L. Foster. 1909, First Ward. Dr. O. B. Hall, O. H. Brock; Second Ward, F. L. Mayes. R. L. Campbell: Third Ward. J. M. Caldwell, J. B. Whit-field: Fourth Ward, Fred L. Foster, J. L. Smith. 1910, First Ward, Dr. O. B. Hall. O. H. Brock; Second Ward. A. Lee Smiser, R. L. Campbell: Third Ward. J. M. Caldwell. J. B. Whitfield; Fourth Ward, J. L. Smith, L. Fountain. 1911, First Ward, Dr. O. B. Hall, O. H. Brock; Second Ward, A. Lee Smiser. R. L. Campbell; Third Ward, J. W. Whitfield, E. S. Katherman; Fourth Ward, J. L. Smith, L. Fountain. 1912, First Ward. Dr. O. B. Hall. O. H. Brock: Second Ward, A. Lee Smiser, R. L. Campbell: Third Ward, E. S. Katherman, J. B. Baird; Fourth Ward. J. L. Smith, L. Fountain. 1913, First Ward, Dr. O. B. Hall, O. H. Brock; Second Ward, A. Lee Smiser, R. L. Campbell; Third Ward. E. S. Katherman. J. B. Baird; Fourth Ward. J. L. Smith, L. Fountain. 1914. First Ward, S. H. Coleman, O. H. Brock; Second Ward. J. S. Anderson. R. L. Campbell; Third Ward, E. S. Katherman, A. D. Redford: Fourth Ward, J. L. Smith, L. Fountain. 1915, First Ward, S. H. Coleman, J. O. W. Moles; Second Ward, J. S. Anderson, L. F. Hutchens; Third Ward, F. S. Katherman, A. D. Redford; Fourth Ward, J. L. Descombes, L. Fountain. 1916, First Ward, J. O. W. Moles, S. H. Coleman: Second Ward. J. N. Suddath. L. F. Hutchens; Third Ward. E. S. Katherman. T. L. Bradley; J. L. DesCombes, L. Fountain, 1917, First Ward, S. H. Coleman, L. A. Davis: Second Ward, J. N. Suddath, L. F. Hutchens: Third Ward, C. W. Fulkerson, T. L. Bradley; Fourth Ward, J. E. Six. L. Fountain.Assessors.-1856-57, William Upton: 1858, William M. Poston; 1859. Alex. Marr; 1861. A. M. Christian; 1865, John Cheek; 1866, J. I. Clouch; 1867, W. S. Snow; 1868. W. C. Rowland: 1889. G. E. Bell: 1891-92. Rolla G. Carroll: 1893-94, Jesse Baker: 1895-98, G. F. Savage; 1899-1900. Rolla G. Carroll: 1901-02. J. M. Hill: 1903-06, J. W. McFarland; 1907-1910, E. A. Williams; 1911-14, T. J. Summers: 1915-16. O. L. Peters.Attorneys.-1856, Charles O. Silliman: 1857, M. C. Goodlett; 1858, F. M. Cockrell; 1859, Robert L. Brooking: 1860. John Hollowell: 1861. O. A. Wadell and G. W. McMurran; 1866, A. R. Conklin; 1867. H. H. Harmon: 1868, J. P. Heath; 1869-70, S. T. White: 1871. Henry Neill; 1872. A. B. Logan: 1873. A. C. Baker: 1874. A. R. Conklin: 1875-76. Henry Neill: 1877. J. M. Crutchfield: 1878. Garrett C. Land: 1879-1880, S. T. White; 1881-83. R. M. Robertson; 1884-85, J. M. Crutchfield; 1886, John J. Hyer; 1887-88. Henry Neill: 1889-1890, A. M. Greer; 1891-92, R. M. Robertson: 1893, F. B. Fulkerson: 1894, F. B. Fulkerson and M. D. Aber: 1895, N. M. Bradley: 1896, N. M. Bradley and M. D. Aber; 1897-98, M. D. Aber; 1899-1900, Harry G. Hart; 1901-02, Bowman Jarrott; 1903-04, Victor Gallaher: 1905-06, W. C. McDonald; 1907-1908, J. K. Tuttle: 1909-12. W. C. McDonald: 1913 to present. S. J. Caudle.Clerks.-1856, Marsh Foster; 1857, Aikan Welch and F. S. Poston: 1858, David W. Reed and F. S. Poston; 1859, F. S. Poston: 1860-61, Alexander Marr: 1865. G. W. Houts: 1866, C. M. Leet. J. W. Brown; 1867, J. W. Brown: 1868-1870, J. R. Heath: 1871, J. M. Hustel, Joseph Zoll; 1872, Joseph Zoll: 1873, B. A. Fickas; 1874. H. M. Overmyer; 1875-76. Joseph Zoll: 1877. N. B. Klaine, Joseph Zoll; 1878-79. Joseph Zoll; 1880-81, Ira A. Day: 1882-1890. W. C. Marlatt: 1891-94; W. S. Clark; 1895, F. G. Limbeck; 1896. C. D. Middleton; 1897. H. A. Neill, R. E. Jones, 1898, C. W. Cord; 1899. C. W. Cord, F. G. Limbeck; 1900, F.G. Lunbeck: 1901-1912, S. P. Tyler; 1913 to present, D. P. Woodruff.Collectors.-1874, Eli Allman; 1881-82, W. C. Rowland; 1883, J. W. Kerr: 1884. T. B. Montgomery: 1885, W. H. Bunn: 1886, Marcellus Shryack: 1877, John H. Wilson: 1888, W. H. Bunn; 1892, W. L. Hick-man: 1893-96. O. H. Brock: 1897-1900. James M. Shepherd; 1901-04. George A. Thurber; 1905-09, Harry Jennings: 1910-12, S. H. Coleman; 1913-16, L. C. Gore: 1917 to present, O. L. Peters.Engineers.-1899-1904. George S. Brinkerhoff; 1905, J. H. Scarborough; 1906, George S. Brinkerhoff; 1907, George S. Brinkerhoff and H. W. Sanders: 1908, George S. Brinkerhoff: 1909-10. J. S: Scarborough; 1911. R. P. Fitch: 1912 to present, C. L. Johnson.Marshals.-1868-1870, W. S. Snow: 1871, J. K. Miller: 1872, E. H. Shotwell; 1873. L. Collins: 1874, Eli Allman: 1875. O. A. Redford; 1876, S. J. Jackson: 1877-1880. H. F. Clark: 1881-82, P. A. Matthews; 1883-84, P. A. Magoon; 1885-86, D. R. Smith: 1887. R. F. Dalton; 1888. R. F. Dalton, Thomas H. Dillard: 1889-1894, J. E. Morrison: 1895-96, George W. Warnick: 1897, W. H. Welch: 1898, W. H. Welch. George F. Fisher. K. G. Tempel; 1899-1900. K. G. Tempel. 1901-02. Carlisle Chase: 1901-07, James Ryan: 1908. William Ogle; 1909-12. W. A. Gaubert; 1913 to present, B. G. Brown.Assistant Marshals.-1892. Charles Morrison; 1893, Lewis Davis: 1894, J. A. House; 1895. W. C. Johnson: 1896. R. H. Davis: 1897, K. G. Tempel; 1898-1900, J. P. Hampton: 1901. J. A. Burnett and James Ryan; 1902. James Ryan: 1903-06. B. G. Brown; 1907. James Basham; 1908. George W. Howard: 1909-12. B. G. Brown; 1913 to present. J. W. Quarles.Police Judges.-1895-96, W. C. McDonald: 1897-98, J. K. Byers; 1899-1900, Jehu H. Smith; 1901-02. M. J. Staley; 1903-06. W. H. Bunn; 1907-08, W. K. Morrow; 1909-12, John W. McFarland; 1913-14, Price B. Robinson; 1915-16, J. Raymond Rothwell; 1917-18, John W. McFarland.Sextons.-1881-1895, Green B. Lannom: 1896-1900. R. H. Crook; 1901-02. T. C. Lauderdale: 1903, A. H. Spitser; 1904-1916, C. W. Stewart; 1917, Neal Harmon.Street Commissioners.-1856, Daniel Rentch ; 1857, O. S. Heath; 1858-59, Robert Sharp; 1860, C. F. Heath; 1861. William Upton: 1866. S. J. Burnett: 1867, W. S. Snow, O. S. Heath: 1868. O. S. Heath; 1869. W. Jollandsworth: 1870. J. D. Morris; 1871. Joel P. Johnston; 1872. Adam Howenstein: 1873, John Watson; 1874, L. Collins; 1875, J. P. Johnston; 1876. Hugh McCoy; 1877, Peter Koontz: 1878, R. L. Richey, John Opp; 1879-1882. J. D. Morris: 1887-88, D. R. Smith; 1889. Clifton Thompson; 1890, J. H. Alspaugh: 1891-94, John Scott: 1895, Orlando Willis: 1896. John M. Davidson; 1897. L. E. Hawk; 1898. Z. T. Collins. J. M. Davidson: 1899. J. A. Johnson: 1900. Frank Cole: 1901-06. J. E. Ridge: 1907. Stephen Tompkins. Henry Whiteman; 1907-08, Henry Whiteman; 1909-10. J. E. Ridge: 1911-12, John Burnett; 1913-14, W. A. Gaubert: 1915-16, Frank Hiebler: 1917, A. Gaubert.Treasurers.-1856, John G. Davis: 1857-1861, John Foushee: 1865-1866. W. R. Wood: 1867-1870. A. W. Ridings: 187*1-72. J. P. Henshaw; 1873-76. H. D. Russell: 1877. N. B. Johnson; 1878-1882. W. H. Lee; 1885-87. Marcus Youngs; 1888. John Davis: 1889-1891. O. S. Wadell; 1892-94. Jo. H. Smith: 1895-96. H. A. Neill; 1897-98. Alpheus Adams; 1898. Alpheus Adams and E. N. Johnson: 1899-1900. Fred C. Whitman: 1901-04. Earl Coffman: 1905-06. T. P. Valentine: 1907. T. E. Cheatham, G. C. Gillum: 1908. G. C. Gillum: 1909-12, C. A. Owings: 1913-16, Nick Greim : 1917 to present, Joseph E. Belt.Early Men and Things of Warrensburg Living Today.-Careful inquiry seems to give the honor of priority to the following of Warrensburg's institutions and people.Buildings.-The oldest building is the old court house in Old Town, now occupied as a residence by Mr. W. O. Davis, the best-known citizen of Old Town. It was completed about 1842. The next was the next house west of the Reese school, a two-story frame house, which Daniel Rentch had built. Then came the brick house just south of the court house on the west side of Main street, built by William Harrison Anderson; then the brick house on the north side of Gay street just east of Main street, now the residence of Mr. S. B. McMahan; then the brick house on the east side of Main street just north of Gay street and once occupied by W. H. Colbert, and then the brick house just opposite on the west side, formerly occupied as a dentist's office by Doctor Williams. The above order is given by Miss Catherine Rentch, daughter of Daniel Rentch, who remembers the building of all these houses except the court house and the frame house, and is confirmed by Mr. W. O. Davis. Mr. Moody and others.In New Town. William Zoll built what is now the first frame house on the north side of Gay street east of Holden street (now the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Henry E. Griffith/. in 1858. Other houses built before the war were Capt. H. C. Fike's house (which was used as a smallpox hospital during the war), and also the second and third houses west from Holden street on the north side of Gay street (now occupied by Messrs. Joseph McMeekin and Leslie Hutchens, respectively), and the house at 310 West Gay street, built by old Mrs. Marr.There is not an old church building in town. The Christian is the oldest, and the Cumberland Presbyterian next.Men and Women.-Of the business men "Ike" Rogers and Dan Williams are the oldest. They were both here before the war. Mr. Williams came in 1857 and Mr. Rogers in 1858. (The fact that both are pioneer harness men seems to indicate a distinct advantage in associating with good leather). Those after the war are given in Mr. Lowe's interview preceding.The person who has resided in town the longest seems to be David P. Woodruff, who was born in Warrensburg, August 12, 1842. He is now city clerk and active and well. Mrs. Martha Statley, now aged eighty-five years, came here with her father, Daniel Rentch, about 1845 or 1846. Mrs. Nannie Rose, widow of Lafayette Rose, is seventy-six years old and remembers coming here when she was six years old. which would make her advent 1848. Mrs. A. H. Gilkeson (mother of Mrs. W. L. Hedges, Dr. H. P. Gilkeson, and John M. Gilkeson, all living in this county) came here in 1851, and is now over eighty years of age.In the younger set of genuine natives, come Mel. P. Moody and John M. Crutchfield. Mr. Crutchfield was born here in 1858. and Mr. Moody claims he chose Warrensburg as his birthplace in 1854, though he refuses to confirm this by his actions or looks. Those two remarkable women, Miss Kitty Rentch and Miss Lizzie Grover, both arrived in this world in Warrensburg before the war. Miss Lizzie remembers going to Doctor Williams' office to have a tooth pulled before the war, and Miss Kitty was an associate of Mr. Moody's, and John J. and William S. Cockrell (the writer's half-brothers), who were born in 1855 and 1857, respectively. These two spinsters, both of unusual character and ability, have (possibly through keeping themselves clear of incumbrances) for a long time been, and still are, two of the town's most capable and cheerful citizens.Population.-The following is the population of Warrensburg from 1850.to 1910 by official United States Census: 1850-White. 194; colored. 47. 1860-White. 858; colored, 124. 1870-White, 2.447; colored. 498. 1880, 4,049: 1890. 4,706; 1900, 4,724; 1910, white, 4,278; colored, 411.Additional, and very interesting detailed information about the town is given by the United States Census for 1910. According to it, there were 1,209 dwellings in town and 1,236 families living in them. There were 144 people ten years old and over who could not read or write. These were chiefly negroes-1-92 negroes, and S2 whites. Among the 144 were 66 men over 21 years old. There were 1,289 persons between six and twenty years of age, of whom 1.012 were attending school.The Warrensburg Commercial Club prior to 1910 had existed for sixteen years, under the name of the "Warrensburg and Johnson County Board of Trade." Its first president was Charles Shepard, who continued in that capacity until the re-organization. The first secretary was Frank Limbeck. The minutes of the "Board of Trade" have been lost and definite information as to the work of the body cannot be given, but it may be claimed that it was responsible for the building of the present court house. It was composed of the leading men of Warrensburg and labored for the best interests of the city. The Board of Trade was re-organized in January, 1910, its name was changed to the Warrensburg Commercial Club and the following officers and directors were chosen: John Thrailkill, president; Jesse J. Culp, vice-president; George G. Gilkeson, treasurer; W. E. Suddath, secretary, and J. H. Scarborough, P. D. Finch, Theo. S. Shock, John Thrailkill, Jesse J. Culp, George G. Gilkeson and W. E. Suddath, directors. New and commodious rooms were fitted up in the second story of the Johnson building on the corner of Holden and East Pine streets. During the past year the club has stood behind all worthy enterprises of the city.It helped in the organization of the Johnson County Poultry Show and was instrumental in securing the meeting of the Grand Army of the Republic in Warrensburg. Its most important work has been that of encouraging street paving, four miles of which have been accomplished through its efforts. It has been behind all beneficial legislation and has taken the initiative in many improvements. The success of the "Korn Karnival" was mainly through its efforts.The club is now fighting the increase of light rates, making the telephone companies lay the wires underground, and have made the railroads keep up the bridges, paving and crossings. They helped get the county farm agent by pledging themselves for his salary and guaranteed the support of Miss Moreland, the new food demonstrator.The membership of the club embraces the leading business men of Warrensburg and it is a power for the upbuilding of the city. There are 100 members. The present officers are: President, Harvey Clark;. secretary, Chester Ossingham; treasurer, E. N. Johnson.
Linn J. Schofield, M. D. , president of the Johnson County Medical Society, was born May 14, 1861, in Lexington, Missouri, the son of Judge Jesse W. and Andalusia (Eddy) Schofield, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of New York. Judge Jesse W. Schofield was born in 1801. He came to Missouri from Virginia prior to the Civil War and located in Lexington, where he followed his profession of architect and bridge builder. He was at one time judge of the county court in Lafayette county, Missouri. Andalusia (Eddy) Schofield was professor of mathematics in the Female Seminary at Harper's Ferry, Virginia, prior to her marriage. To Judge Jesse W. and Andalusia (Eddy) Schofield were born the following children: Mrs. W. L. Gott, Fayetteville, Missouri; Dr. Linn J., the subject of this review; F. C, of Palo Alto, California, who is a graduate of the University of Ohio, the University of Colorado, and Leland Stanford University and is now a professor, teaching in California; C. E., who is engaged in the mercantile business in Los Angeles, California; and Mrs. Anda Burton, Odessa, Missouri. By a former marriage, Judge Jesse W. Schofield was the father of two sons: Dr. John L., who was a graduate of the University of Virginia and is now deceased; and George L., deceased. The death of Judge Schofield occurred in 1881, in Lexington, Missouri.
JOHNSON COUNTY BUSINESS DIRECTORIES 1881
Gleaned from:Kansas City Historical Co.The History of Johnson Co., Mo. 1881Albertson, L. L., FloristWARRENSBURG TOWNSHIPAilor, James, RestaurantBahlmann, W. F., Prof. Normal SchoolAnderson, W. H. & Son, GrocersAshton, George P., DentistBarr, Rev. A. L., Pastor, C. P. ChurchBaldwin, R., Editor Wg StandardBarbee, Mrs. Lucy, MillinerBetichec, F. A., FurnitureBarton, John, Sewing MachinesBeitling, Charles, Harness ShopBerry, W. L., Sch. Com. Johnson Co.Bibb, Rev. M. L., Pastor, Bap. ChurchBrinkerhoff, Geo. S., VineyardBosaker, J. M., BuilderBowen, W. R., Johnson co. AssessorBrammer, G. C., BarberBruce, William, Stone QuarryBrinker, W. H., Prosecuting Atty.Brock & Steele, BlacksmithsBrooks, E. W., R. R. Section BossBrown, John W., Post MasterBrown, Miss Sue, Reading RoomCampbell, J. J., Prof. Normal SchoolBryson, J. C., DentistBryson, W. A., DruggistBunn, W. H., Insurance & Real EstateBurnett, S. J., Claim AgentCarhart, Ida M., Teacher Normal SchoolBurrington, Sam, Veterinary Surg.Cockrell, J. J., Attorney at LawCarpenter, M. B., TinnerCheatham Bros., FurnitureCheatham, John T., GroceriesChristopher, G. K., Book StoreCockrell, Hon. F. M., U. S. Sen.Cockrell, Rev. A. M., Bap. ChurchCrissey, W. E., Abstract OfficeColbern, G. W., Pres. S. BankCooper, Wilson, BlacksmithCottrall, & Rand, Music StoreCord, John & Chas., GroceriesCrittenden, Hon. T. T., Gov. of Mo.Crews, Rev. C., Pastor Bap. Church (Colored)Dunn, Alfred, Assist. PostmasterCruce, R. A., Ed. Journal-Dem.Crutchfield, J. M., Attorney at LawCutler, S. P., PhysicianDrew, Mrs. M. A., Book StoreDe Garmo, E. L., Woolen MillsDunn, Robert N., Principal SchoolsDunbar, Nelson, PhysicianFuller, Rev. C., Pastor Presby. ChurchEads, J. D., DruggestEard, Mrs., Prop. Eads HotelEckhard, John, PhotographerFaulkner, D. T., Auction StoreEverhart, L. D., JewelerFike, H. C., Eureka MillsGossett & Floyd, BuildersFitch, H. R. & Co., Mill and ElevatorFurgeson, J. N., Johnson Co. SurveyorGeer, A. M., Attorney at LawGaty, John U., Real Estate AgentGiehl, August, BlacksmithGilkeson, A. H. & S., Dry GoodsGilbert Bros., GroceriesGilbert, Porter A., Marble WorksHarris, W. F., Transfer ExpressGriffith, Mrs. M. E., MillinerGriggs, A. C., DentistGross, Phillip, BreweryGrimes, Henry, SaddlerHagerty, C. C., TailorGroves & Donaldson, BlacksmithsHarris & Son, Hides & WoolHale, H. C., Agricultural Imp.Hartman & Co., Magnolia MillsHirsch, Jacob, GroceriesHarwood, R. B., County ClerkHathaway, J. J., Marble WorksHatton, W. H. H., VineyardHawkins, O. D., Pub. AdministratorHayes, William, BarberHeberling, & Bro., Boots & ShoesHooker, Miss Jennie, MillinerHeberling, W. H., Meat MarketHedges, W. L., Phys. & MayorHunt, W. P., Abstract OfficeHornbuckle, W. L., Probate JudgeHout, Geo. W., Lumber YardHouts, O. L., Attorney at LawHouts, G. Will., Attorney at LawHughes, Rev. J. H., Pastor Christian ChurchHoux, Rev. J. H., C. P. MinisterHughes, H. Y., Pres. BankKinsel, J. H., Cashier, Bank of WarrensburgHunt, Geo. R., PhysicianHyer, J. J., Attorney at LawJacobs, B. F., GroceriesJanuary, Rev. B. F., M. E. MinisterJohnson, N. B. & Son, DruggistsKelley, J. R., County RecorderKelley, Edward, NurseryKinchlow, Wm., RestaurantKinsel, J. H., Bank of WarrensburgKing, E. W., CarpenterKing, Thos., BlacksmithKinsel, J. H., LumberyardLittrell, Rev. J. C., MinisterKnapp, W. E., Livery StableLand, Fike & Co., Eureka MillsLand, Garrett C., Attorney at LawLand, Moses, Eureka MillsLannom, G. B., Cemetery SextonLand, Nathan, Eureka MillsLee, W. H., Agricultural ImplementsLaupheimer Bros., RestaurantLittle, A. J., K. C. Hist. Co.Lemmon, George W., VineyardMcManigal, J. H., FurnitureLobban, G. A., GroceriesLoebenstein, B. & Co., ClothingLogan, A. B., Attorney at LawLowe, William, BuilderLowe, William, Brick KilnMatthews, P. A., City MarshalMarlatt, W. C., Justice of the PeaceMcGoon, C. A., HardwareMcConaughay & Ulrich, BarbersMcCullough, H. C., PainterNeill, Henry, Attorney at LawMears, Robert, BlacksmithMiddleton, J. I., Telegraph OperatorMiller, John C., DruggistMikel, W. S., VineyardMiller, Joseph, TailorMoody, W. B., Family GroceriesMiller, Oll, PainterMoody, W. B., Dry Goods & GroceriesNaylor, J. B., Publisher, Journal- DemocratMoser, Mrs., MillinerNathan Bros., Ready Made ClothingPrussing, F. M., GroceriesNelson, J. R., Chicago Cheap StoreNickerson, E. A., Attorney at LawOsborne, Geo. L., Pres. Normal SchoolOpp, Geo., CarpenterPhelan, Rev. Father, Past. Cath. Church
Pennington, E. T., Agent M. P. R. R.Phelps, J. T., Simmons House
Phelps & Williams, Simmons House
Pickle Bros., Stone QuarriesPutcamp, H., Billiards
Pinkston, W. D., Physician
Prottsman, W. M., Past. M. E. Church SouthRosenthall, Henry, HardwareRandall, Amos, RestaurantRedford, A. O., Family GroceriesReese, Rev. R. S. , Pastor M. E. C.
Reeves, Reuben, Boots & ShoesRichards, G. N., Standard
Reiter, George, VineyardRobertson, R. M., Attorney at Law
Roberts, Redford & Hale, Agricultural ImplementsRose & Zimmerman, Druggists
Robinson, C. W., Physician
Rogers, A. W. & S. T., Attorneys at LawShryack, M., Family GroceriesRowland, W. C., Attorney at LawRuess, Joseph, Groceries & Bakery
Sack, G. H., Attorney at LawSams, Walter, Jeweler
Sams, Edward, Meat MarketSchneiglesepen, J. W., Gunsmith
Sanburn, William, Prof. Normal SchoolShaw, J. A., Johnson County Sheriff
Schriecker, William, Groceries
Shepherd, J. M. & W. S., AttorneysStepper, George, Druggist
Shockey, J. E., Groceries
Shryack, J. A., GroceriesSimmons, E. K., ElevatorSmith & Kauffman, Boots & ShoesSmith, W. V., Physician & Surgeon
Sparks, A. J., TeacherSperling, William, Barber
Sparks, S. P., Attorney at LawStafford, C. N., Merchant Tailor
Spiess, A. & William, GrocersStauver, J. D., Jeweler
Starr, Prof. J. F., Principal, Public SchoolStewart, J. A., Hardware
Steele, Rev. J. C., U. P. Minister
Stepper & Eads, DruggistsWelch, Aikman, Attorney at LawStone, John W., Livery Stable
Suber, M. K., Dry GoodsTalbott, J. E., Merchant Tailor
Taylor, Rev. John, Pastor U. P. C.Tyler, J. K., Johnson County Treasurer
Tomlinson, Charles, Vineyard
Trego, E. O., WagonmakerWadell, A. J. & R. E., Photo
Upton Bros., Family Groceries
Vernaz, P., Vineyard
Wagner, F. X., Billiard HallWhite, S. T., attorney at Law
Wallace & Fitch, Mrs., Milliners
Ward, M. T., Boots & Shoes
Zoll, William, NurseryWilkins, Charles, Transfer Express
Williams, James, Simmons HouseWitherspoon, H. S., Cir. Court Clerk
Williams, S. P., County Collector
Wood, W. W., Attorney at LawYork, R., Fish Market
Worden & Bryson, Druggist
Wright, T. J., Physician
Young, M., Bank CashierZimmerman, J. A., druggist
Young, M., Johnson Co. Savings