|No. 152 Locomotive Missouri Pacific Railroad 1872|
The first locomotive west of the Mississippi river was operated on the Pacific railroad at St. Louis late in 1852. Three years later the Pacific railroad had almost reached Jefferson City. In 1861, when the Civil War broke out, it was built as far west as Sedalia. The first railroad to reach the western boundary of the state was the Hannibal & St. Joseph which was completed to St. Joseph in 1859. However, the Pacific railroad was the first road that was in operation in the state, because as it was built westward from St. Louis it was put in operation as fast as it was completed and the terminal of an actively operated railroad followed the construction gang, as it were, across the state to Kansas City.
|Warrensburg & Marshall Railroad Company, Missouri|
Stock Certificate 1870
A Brief Overview
The Missouri Pacific was a colorful Class 1 road growing from the pioneering efforts of dozens of predecessors and mergers on a far-flung system. The railroad company would forge rails with roads including St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern (SLIMS), Texas & Pacific (TP), Chicago & Eastern Illinois (C&EI), St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico (SLBM), Kansas Oklahoma & Gulf (KO&G), Midland Valley (MV), Gulf Coast Lines (GC), International-Great Northern (IGN), New Orleans, Texas and Mexico (NOTM), Missouri-Illinois (MI) ... on to the small Central Branch Union Pacific (an early predecessor of MP in Kansas & south central Nebraska), and operating joint ventures such as the Alton & Southern (AS).