|Empire Hall 206 North Holden St. ,Warrensburg, MO|
The WPA Guide to Missouri: The Show-Me State Link
|Market Street M.E. Church, Warrensburg|
(115 block area of E. Market)
|Harry Miner's American Dramatic Director, 1884|
Empire Opera House, Warrensburg, Mo
|Warrensburg, 200 block of North Holden, |
|Old Empire Opera House, Hall Large Building in the Middle on Left Warrensburg, MO ca 1945|
Empire Opera House, Hall Warrensburg, Large Building on the Right, in the Middle North Holden Street 1938
Holden Street is named after Nathaniel B. Holden. He was born on March 10, 1810 in Indiana. It was after he moved to Missouri that he became a well known person. He was a teacher in the winter of 1839-1840. He was then a newspaper editor and a surveyor.
He served in the House of Representatives from 1844-1846 and again from 1852-1853. He was a landowner all the time.
Major N. B. Holden
Russell Brothers Clothing Co. 206 North Holden. The Empire Opera House was above it.
Empire Opera House, 206 North Holden, Warrensburg, MO 4th from right ca 1920
Rundle Drug Store Link 204 N. Holden.
204-206 N. Holden St. (Harris, Harris, and Gilbert Attorneys at Law) Non-contributing Building Photos 6, 8 c. 1870, alt. c.1980 The three-story two-part commercial block has brick cladding and a flat roof. A projecting brick stringcourse and terra cotta tile coping ornament the cornice. The primary (east) elevation has seven bays; the upper-story fenestration defines the bays. The first story storefronts on the north and south halves of the first story have non-historic brick infill; a non-historic wood door pierces the center of the first story. Paired, glazed wood doors flanked by display windows fills the north storefront; a non-historic wood pierces the south end of the south storefront. Fabric awnings shade the storefronts and door. Two-over-two double-hung round-arch windows with stone sills fill the second story bays; fixed, multi-light round arch windows with stone sills fill the third story bays. Businesses housed in this building included a drugstore (1895), Clark’s Ice Cream Factory (1913), Rundle Drugstore (1931-1958) and a shoe store (1963-1972) at 204 N. Holden, and Russell Brother’s Clothing (1931-1972) at 206 N. Holden. Alterations to the primary façade of the building such as the brick veneer infill and storefront reconfiguration compromise its integrity and its ability to communicate its historic function and the era in which it was constructed, rendering it non-contributing.