WHS Class of 73

Search This Blog

December 2, 2013

Archibald Gilkeson Saved Warrensburg Misssouri Resident's Money From Confederate Army1864

Saved Cash in Price's Raid
Marshall Republican
Warrensburg, Mo., July 1, 1911 Archibald Gilkeson, for fifty years a merchant in Warrensburg, died of paralysis today at the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. L. Hedges The funeral will be held tomorrow from the Christian Church under the auspices of the Masonic lodge. Mr. Gilkeson was born in Virginia and came to Missouri with his parents in 1839. 

During the Civil War his was the only store in Warrensburg which contained a safe and the residents used it as a bank.

When General Sterling Price made his raid through  this section in 1864 the people came to him panic-stricken and urged him to carry their money to St. Louis. Placing it in a carpet sack Gilkeson drove (rode) thirty miles to Sedalia to catch a train to St. Louis. 

Price's Raid

Approximate route of Gen. Sterling Price's 1864 Raid is marked in red. The green route to St. Louis represents possible route of Joe Shelby's scouts that rode into the suburbs of St. Louis. Reportedly four members of the Shelby's command captured the Cheltenham Post/telegraph office which is now located within the city limits of St. Louis (6437 Manchester road). The large blue dot marks the location of Ft. Davidson (at Pilot Knob) where battle took place. The large green dot near Kansas City is the site of  the Battle of Westport. Above map taken from "A History of Missouri", by Eugene Morrow Violette, 1918.

150 YEARS AGO: News of the Missouri State Guard’s march from Warrensburg to Lexington sparks flurry of messages

JEFFERSON CITY — News that Maj. Gen. Sterling Price was marching the Missouri State Guard from Warrensburg to Lexington sparked a flurry of panicky messages between Col. Jefferson C. Davis and Maj. Gen. John Fremont. Davis, the commander of the Union garrison at the capital, and Fremont, the commander of the Western Department, had scattered their forces in detachments of 1,000 to 2,000 men in an effort to chase down the small commands of Col. Martin Green, Brig. Gen. Thomas Harris and Col. Robert S. Bevier.Col. James Mulligan of the 23rd Illinois Infantry, known as the Irish Brigade, was in command at Lexington with about 3,500 soldiers that also included contingents from Missouri, Kansas and Iowa. Davis had about 3,400 Union soldiers and almost 1,400 poorly armed and trained Home Guard troops on hand to counter any thrust at the capital. Davis also reported that Maj. Joseph Eppstein, commander of the Home Guards at Boonville, was seeking reinforcements in anticipation of an attack.Since defeating the Union forces under Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon on Aug. 10, 1861, at Wilson’s Creek near Springfield, Price had been steadily moving northward, clearing southwest Missouri of Federal troops. With an army of about 12,000 men, Price had sought to capture Mulligan at Warrensburg when the Union officer seized the gold at the Union Bank branch.Price had arrived the day before at Warrensburg to find out he was too late. “An unusually violent storm delayed our march the next morning until about 10 o’clock,” Price wrote in a report to fugitive Gov. Claiborne Fox Jackson. “We then pushed forward rapidly, stil1 hoping to overtake the enemy. Finding it impossible to do this with my infantry, I again ordered a detachment to move forward, and placing myself at their head, continued the pursuit to within two-and-a-half miles of Lexington, when, having learned that the enemy were already within town, and it being late and my men fatigued by a forced march and utterly without provisions, I halted for the night.”Mulligan reported early in the day that he expected to be able to hold Lexington for the time being but needed help. “Strengthen us; we will require it,” he had written.Davis asked for information on the movements of Brig. Gen. John Pope, commander of the District of North Missouri, who was in the field chasing state troops out of Central Missouri.Problems in Callaway County and south of Jefferson City “are being vigorously straightened out by some detachments I sent out some days ago,” Davis reported

Price's Last Missouri Raid

      Gen. Price's raid on Missouri in fall of 1864 caused considerable panic to the Federals within the State. Over 6,000 troops had to be recalled from the looting/burning of Georgia to pursue Gen. Price's 12,000 man cavalry force threatening St. Louis. After leaving Doniphan Missouri on Sept. 20, 1864, Price moved against the Federals in Ft. Davidson at Pilot Knob in hope of capturing vitally needed guns and ammunition for his men. Due to the deep trench before the fortification at Ft. Davidson, Price lost from 800 to 1,000 men in his attempts to rush the fort. In preparation of attacking St. Louis, Price sent a squad of Shelby's cavalry to secure the Cheltenham Post/Telegraph office, which was then only four miles outside of the city. Due to a change of plans after entering Franklin County, Price ordered the attack on St. Louis aborted, and proceeded west to Jefferson City.

No comments: