Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

November 14, 2022

December 1, 1945 , China Bowl "Rice Bowl" Football Game, Shanghai, China, Lt. Earl D. Uhler halfback Army vs. Navy

THREATENING NAVY'S ALL STARS are these Army backs as they prep for the big China Bowl Game at the Canidrome here a week from today. Left to right they are Mike Del Sordi, Everett George, Al Yourkewicz and Earl Uhler.

Service Elevens To Stage 'China Bowl' On Dec. 1 

1945 Shanghai AP 

It may startle football connoisseur's to learn that the Army and Navy will meet in a bowl game (Oriental style) here with a rickshaw race in lieu of the usual trappings of cheer leaders, bands, scats, etc. "The Amy and Navy teams that will meet in the "China Bowl" are not, to be confused with those two gridiron giants now running amok stateside, who tangle Dec. 1. But that unhappy segment of the Army arid Navy which perforce will watch 19S ring in from Shanghai has scraped up enough talent to assure the customers a reasonable facsimile of the sport. Many Good Players The Navy team under the tutelage of Lt. Comdr. A, J. (Swede) Oberlander, former Ohio State line coach and head coach at Wesleyan University, will parade such familiar football characters as: Lt. Frank Ruggeri, former Purdue guard end Big Ten wrestling champion: Lt. William Noel, Tennessee guard who played in the 1941 Rose Bowl; Ensign John Hazlett, Illinois end: Ensign Virgil Eikenberg, Rice fullback; Lt. Don Obillard. Loyola halfback; Ensign Murfo MacDonald, Cornell end: Ensign Joseph Keenan, Wisconsin center, and Ensign William Houck, Oklahoma Aggie back. 
Army Coach Lt. Alex Atty a pro with the Cleveland Rams after his heyday at West Virginia is taking no chances. He has rounded up such adepts in football as Sgt. George Stortz, himself a former Minnesota fullback; Lt. Truman Spain, Michigan State back; Sgt. Bernie Huntz, Fordham fullback; Maj, John Drawbridge, American University halfback; Capt. Parker Wiggins, Louisiana State Teachers halfback; Capt. Al Youkowicz, Villanova. halfback: Sgt. Jack Kirchman, Syracuse guard: Capt. John Moelhaney, Bucknell end, and Lt. Earl Uhler. Maryland halfback. As for the rickshaw derby, it will be run by coolies down the Nanking Road from the bund or waterfront to Canidrome Stadium, in the French concession, scene of the Oriental experiment in football. What a rickshaw derby has got to do with a football game, the service promoters of the "China Bowl" don't say.

Albert Walter Yourkewicz, 84 Professional hockey player WWII Army Air Corps veteranPOCASSET - Albert Walter "Al" Yourkewicz, 84, died Thursday at Jordan Hospital in Plymouth. He was the husband of Sally (Young) Yourkewicz. Mr. Yourkewicz was born and raised in Brockton. He was a graduate of Brockton High School. He served in the Army Air Corps in China during World War II, rising to the rank of captain. He was a professional hockey player in the American Hockey Association and the Eastern Hockey League. He played for the New York Rovers and the Boston Olympics. He was voted an All-World Player in 1948. He later became a coach, and coached the U.S. World Hockey Team in the World Games in 1955 and 1956. He was a member of the Thorny Lea Golf Club in Brockton and the Pocasset Golf Club. He had summered in Pocasset since 1963 and became a year-round resident of Pocasset in 1987. Besides his wife he is survived by three daughters, Nancy Rogers of Falmouth, Lisa Vernooy of Southborough and Susan Willis of Framingham two sisters, Frances Hedine of Brockton and Sylvia Sharp of Phoenix, Ariz. and four grandchildren.

Smith May Outshine Daley In China Bowl Grid Classic
  SHANGHAI, Nov. 26, 1945 - Marion Smith, swift-stepping back from Lexington, Ky., is one of the reasons the Army All Stars maintain high hopes for victory in Saturday's China Bowl Football Game at the Canidrome. The soldiers maintain that Smith, 185-pound triple threat, will not be outclassed, despite the presence in the Navy lineup of such aces as Bill Daley, Bill Polczynski, Charlie Eikenberg, John Biddle and Joe Condron.
  Smith, a Kentucky U. freshman flash in 1942, is the type of leather lugger liable to break for a touchdown every time he gets his hands on the ball. Marion has done close to 10 seconds for the 100 yards and he scoots around ends and weaves through a broken field with a long stride and forward lean. His style and skill reminds one of Beattie Feathers, former Tennessee All America.
  Army has other backs to match the Middle threats. These include Bill Manderry, Al Yourkewicz, Earl Uhler and Everett George.
  Manderry, 190-pound fullback, played for the College of Pacific eleven which won the Far Western Conference title in 1941 and '42. He also was named for the All-Conference backfield. Bill runs hard, low, and has the knack of rolling off would-be tacklers.
  Yourkewicz' forte is ice hockey, Al having played professionally for three years with Boston of the Eastern League. Before signing up, however, Yourkewicz is supposed to have been a wiz in high school and with the Villanova frosh in 1937.
  Navy's forces still are somewhat downcast because of the loss through injury of their two fine centers, Joe Keenan and Dick Alden. However, Tom Parry, who is being promoted to the first-string line, is no slouch, either. Tom played tackle for Notre Dame last year, getting into the Wisconsin, Pitt and Dartmouth games.

  Parry is expected to start at left tackle, replacing Jim Young, who probably will start at pivot. If necessary, powerful Jim can switch back to tackle at any time.

China Bowl, 1945, Shanghai China

Army Roster 1945

Head Coach Major H. C. Ave

Captain Park L. Myers
1st Lt. Alex G. Atty
1st LT Vince Banyans

#36 - Capt. John McElhaney, Left End
#37 - PFC Charles Borde, Left Tackle
#38 - F-O Richard "Dick" Coleman, Right Guard
#39 - S-Sgt. George Ansell, Center
#41 - Sgt. Jarrell Magness, Right Tackle
#42 - 1st Lt. Lad Andrews, Right End
#43 - 1st Lt Marion Smith, Left Half
#10 - Sgt. Ray Placette, Quarterback
#11 - 1st Lt William J. Mandery, Full Back
#44 - 1st Lt Everett George, Right Half
#12 - PFC Cassie Vinson, End
#13 - PFC John Breweington, Tackle
#14 - 1st Lt Alfred Taylor, Guard
#15 - CPL Albert Allison, Center
#16 - PFC Thomas "Tom" Coyle, Guard
#17 - CPL Allen Murdock, Tackle
# SGT. Dave Cunningham, End
#19 - Capt. Al Yourkewicz, Left Half
(Professional hockey player WWII Army Air Corps veteran POCASSET - Albert Walter "Al" Yourkewicz, He was the husband of Sally (Young) Yourkewicz. Mr. Yourkewicz was born and raised in Brockton. He was a graduate of Brockton High School. He served in the Army Air Corps in China during World War II, rising to the rank of captain. He was a professional hockey player in the American Hockey Association and the Eastern Hockey League. He played for the New York Rovers and the Boston Olympics. He was voted an All-World Player in 1948. He later became a coach, and coached the U.S. World Hockey Team in the World Games in 1955 and 1956. He was a member of the Thorny Lea Golf Club in Brockton and the Pocasset Golf Club. He had summered in Pocasset since 1963 and became a year-round resident of Pocasset in 1987. Besides his wife he is survived by three daughters, Nancy Rogers of Falmouth, Lisa Vernooy of Southborough and Susan Willis of Framingham two sisters, Frances Hedine of Brockton and Sylvia Sharp of Phoenix, Ariz. and four grandchildren.

#20 - CPL. Michael "Mike" Del Sordi, Right Half
Michael A. Del Sordi- 94 of Redbank, New Jersey passed away peacefully on April, 25, 2014 at the Riverview Medical Center. Michael was born on November 18, 1919 in Newark, New Jersey. After attending high school he enlisted in the United States Army where he served his country during WWII. After completion of his service he left the Army Honorably Discharged. When he returned home he got a job as a payroll supervisor. Michael met his wife Theresa and they both moved to West Keansburg and raised their family before ultimately settling down in Redbank. Michael is predeceased by his parents Alfonso and Maria as well his brother Christopher and his sister Tessie. Michael is the beloved husband of Theresa for an incredible 71 wonderful years. He is the devoted father of Michael , Michele, Maria, and Theresa. Michael is the loving brother of Elizabeth Sica. He is survived by his loving grandchildren Lisa, Joseph, Philip, Michael, Maria, Michael III, Erin, Joan, Marie, and Jenna as well as having 9 great-grandchildren. Michael regularly attended mass and was a very big Baseball and Football fan, and was especially fond of the Yankees and Jets.

#21 - Maj. John Trowbridge, Quarterback
Sgt Bernie Huntz, Full Back
1st SGT W. Miller
SGT W. Mohrland
CPL E. Hildebrandt
2nd Lt Truman Spain
PFC C. Campbell
SGT Dorman Goodrich, Tackle
# 29 - CPL Rodney Franz, End
#31 - 1st Lt Earl D. Uhler, Jr., University of Maryland, Half Back
#32 Patrick Ward
# 33 - SGT George R. Stortz, Quarterback,An Army veteran of World War II, he received five bronze stars. He was a member Emmaus Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7088 and Emmaus Fire Company No. 2.
# 34 - SGT J. D. Nix, Halfback
PFC Hyde Jenkins
SGT W. Hatton
M-SGT R Kyger
SGT Roy Hawkins
Lou Cappazoli,
William Melton
Dean Hauserman
Marion Berent
B. Skuta
Paul Weidler
H. Henieman
John O'Rourke
F. H. Langford
William Sveska
William Hatton

Co-Coaches  A. J. Oberlander, Lt. Comdr. (MC)
G. Grant G. Andreasen, Lt., USNR
Phil Bucklew was also a coach this day.
Phil Bucklew and his unit were transferred to England to support the imminent (D-Day) invasion in Normandy. In January 1944, Bucklew and another S&R officer, Grant Andreasen, swam ashore at night to collect sand samples from the target beach, which would be later referred to as Omaha Beach. The mission planners needed to know whether the sand would support heavy vehicles. On another occasion, Bucklew and Andreasen were brought within 300 yards of the beach by a kayak paddled by a British Commando. They swam the rest of the way and hid in the water to watch and time sentry patrols, before going ashore to collect more sand samples and other useful intelligence.
Phil Bucklew

Lieutenant Grant G. Andreasen, USNR (1916-1997)

Grant Gibbs Andreasen was born on 1 April 1916 at Grace, Idaho. He graduated from Utah State Agricultural College in June 1938 with a degree in Physical Education and was thereafter employed as an educator. In March 1942 he enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve as a Chief Specialist, Athletics. Commissioned in the rank of Ensign in October of that year, he received training was a Scout Boat Officer in the landings at Gila, Sicily, and Salerno, Italy, during July and September 1943. Assigned to amphibious duties in England in October 1943, he was promoted to Lieutenant (Junior Grade) at the beginning of 1944.
During the 6 June 1944 landings on "Omaha" Beach, Lt(JG) Andreasen was again serving as a Scout Boat Officer, tasked with close support of dual drive (DD) tanks and landing craft during the initial assault on the heavily defended position. His courageous conduct on that occasion was recognized with the award of the Navy Cross, and the other four men in his boat received the Silver Star Medal. Returning to the U.S. in September 1944, he served in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations and was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in May 1945. Following World War II, Andreasen resumed his career as a teacher. He remained in the Naval Reserve until the mid-1950s. Grant G. Andreasen died at Camarillo, Ventura County, California, on 6 May 1997.

Grant G. Andreasen, Navy Scout
Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Grant G. Andreasen, USNR

Who was awarded the Navy Cross for "conspicuous bravery" as a Scout Boat Officer off "Omaha" Beach during the invasion of Normandy, 6 June 1944.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.



Navy Cross

See more recipients of this award
Awarded for actions during the World War II

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Lieutenant, Junior Grade Grant G. Andreasen (NSN: 0-231795), United States Naval Reserve, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession as Officer in Charge of an LCT Scout Boat during the amphibious assault on the Normandy Coast of France on 6 June 1944. Lieutenant, Junior Grade, Andreasen embarked in one of the first craft to approach the strongly defended Normandy coast and succeeded in the highly important mission of locating the beaches to be assaulted. Despite heavy surf and harassing enemy fire, he went in close to the beach to act as a guide for the approaching wave of DD tanks. While he was in this advanced position he fired the rockets from his craft at target objectives, moved in closer to the beach, and rendered close fire support for the infantry assault waves. In addition to his assigned duties, without regard for his own personal safety and under heavy enemy fire he rescued wounded personnel from burning landing craft and carried them to safety. The outstanding devotion to duty and courage under fire displayed by Lieutenant, Junior Grade, Andreasen were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

General Orders: Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin No. 334 (January 1945)Action Date: June 6, 1944
Service: Navy
Rank: Lieutenant Junior Grade
Company: Officer In Charge
Division: USN Scout Boat (LCT)

Silver Star

See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the World War II
The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Lieutenant Grant G. Andreasen (NSN: 0-231795), United States Naval Reserve, for gallantry and intrepidity in action as Executive Officer of U.S. Naval Unit SIX, during the Southern Fukien campaign from 29 June to 21 July 1945. Lieutenant Andreasen led a group of American and Chinese guerillas against overwhelming odds in number and fire power of the Japanese. On 10 July near Chang Pu he pressed the attack, with two light machine guns and one heavy machine gun, against the Japanese column with such coolness and determination that the enemy was forced to abandon their course and were forced over a mountain trail where he again ambushed the enemy with great loss of life and captured much needed equipment. During this engagement the major general commanding the Japanese troops was killed. Lieutenant Andreasen's efforts under extremely difficult circumstances were an inspiration to the Allied Officers and men serving with him. His courageous actions were in accordance with the highest traditions of the Navy of the United States.
General Orders: Authority: Board of Awards: Serial 352 (February 7, 1946)
Action Date: June 29 - July 21, 1945
Service: Navy
Rank: Lieutenant
Company: Executive Officer
Division: U.S. Naval Unit Six

Colors - Blue
LT (jg) B. McCarthy
MM1c J. Young
ENS. B. Hoe
LT (jg) Frank Ruggieri
QM3c Garry Schmeelk
LT (jg) Ray Fuller
SK3c Ray Billy Polczynski, Marquette University

LT (jg) William "Bill" Daley, Left Half
Lt. J. Joseph Condron
Joseph Condron

Joseph C. Condron, 85, of Kingston, died Sunday, April 13, 2008. 

Born in Wilkes-Barre, on April 20, 1922, he was a son of the late Philip W. Condron and the late Margaret T. (Hogan) Condron. He was married to the former Betsy Bell (Parkhurst) Condron for more than 32 years. 

He was a graduate of Scranton Central High School and College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Mass. He attended the U.S. Naval Reserve Midshipmans School at Northwestern University in Chicago, Ill., where he was commissioned as an ensign. 

A veteran of World War II, Mr. Condron participated in the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa islands. He was commanding officer of Landing Craft Infantry 771, a ship wrecked in the typhoon off Okinawa. He wrote a monograph of his Naval World War II experiences, “My Great Adventure,” housed in the Maritime Museum, Solomon’s Island, Md., and the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Library, Hyde Park, N.Y. He was awarded five campaign medals.

ENS. Charley "Charle" Virgil Eikenberg
S1c Fritz Hantowski
Robert Hoe
Bill Polczynski
AERM2c Woody Thomas
ENS Donald Hix
LT (jg) Orville Markles
PFC (MC) Thomas "Tom" Parry
ENS. John Hazelett
STMI1c Frank Williams
EM3c William Bryzon
ENS. Murdo McDonald
ENS. Charles Coyer
S1c Johnny "John" Biddle
S1c Alvin Wormsley
Y1c. M. Loscalzo
PHM3c Roy Barnes
PHM3c Terrt Derreberry
S2c Robert Walsh
Francis Shatz
Orville Markles
John Biddle
S1c Edward Croft
CSM J. Gripp
Lt (jg) Donald "Don" Robillard
GM1c Alex Kish
ENS. Billy "Bill" W. Houck -Houck  - Davidson College Baseball
John Gripp
1945 Nina Kurganski (Kurgansky?)in a ricksaw race at Army-Navy game in Shanghai, China "The Army-Navy" Football Game Played in Shanghai, China, was much like the one played at home including a packed stadium and a play-by-play broadcast over Shanghai radio station.  A Chinese addition was the Rickshaw race held prior to the game.  Mis Nina Kurganski, a Navy Entrant, was one of 19 girls in the "race", all of whom were employees of Army or Navy offices in Shanghai.  12/12/45
Chinese Soldier at China Bowl 1945 Canidrome
  1. The Canidrome in Shanghai's French Concession was a popular entertainment complex during the late 1920s and the 1930s. It housed a greyhound racing-track which doubled as a sporting-ground, and a ballroom for parties and dances.
Buck Clayton performing in the 1930's in the Canidrome, one of the many places that would later become execution facilities under the Communists.  Inside of the Canidrome 1930s with Buck Clayton performing, Buck Clayton is standing in the middle.
December 1, 1945 Shanghai China, the First China Bowl Game, Army vs. Navy a crowd of 30,000 watched.

Watching the Army-Navy Football Game In Shanghai, China 1945
Bill, Helen O'Brien, Reeny Ozorio, Charlie, Igo, Al and me...
Shanghai 1945

Shangahi Harbor 1945
Shanghai Harbor Dec 1, 1945

Shanghai, 1945
 Shanghai, 1945
Earl Uhler Collection
 God of Piece/Peace Shanghai
Earl Uhler, Collection
Shanghai N.S.R. North Station Shanghai
Earl Uhler Collection
image description
Shanghai Race Course 1930
Shanghai Map about 1945
USS ANZIO CV 57 Shanghai Dec. 1, 1945
In Shanghai, 13 hours before the big game in Philadelphia, Army kicked off to Navy in the China Bowl game. It was strictly G.I. 10,000 uniformed Americans jammed Shanghai's Canidrome (dog track). Navy won, 12-to-0. That made the day perfect for Navy's coach, craggy-faced, beaming Lieut. Commander Andrew James ("Swede") Oberlander, Dartmouth All-America, a football immortal of the golden '20s. He had had three weeks to whip the Navy team into shape. Plans for defense and kick-off drill on the day before the game were frustrated when the players arrived to practice on the Shanghai race course.

Wen Bon: A Naval Air Intelligence Officer Behind Japanese Lines in China By Byron R. Winborn

December 4, 1945
It's Derby Day in Shanghai!  Maybe we won't have the mint juleps and the co'n licker that is imbibed in Louisville, ba at least there is enough of the juice of the grape around for everybody. The hotels are crowded.  You can't get a decent meal--for a decent price at least.  Pretty gals are all over town.  Just yours for the asking.  You can take them any place but to the Canidrome, however, since the law has been laid down.  No Gals. No civilians,. Nobody, unless, they are in uniform. But there will be plenty of parties after the race the football game between the Army and Navy is over.  The gals, posing as jockeys, are all in good shape.  The ricksah coolies are in good shape.  The shape of the rickshaw is doubtful, but who cares?  The weather looks like rain. In fact, at this writing it is.  That makes for a muddy track or slippery track.  At least it means that the time will be slower than anticipated.  Still starting from the Navy Jetty at 1 p.m. the first ricksha should enter the Canidrome by 1:30 p.m.  Which means that if you are guys and gals (Wacs and UNNRA) wanna be in on the finish, you better get out out at the game site before then.  All of the high ranking brass at the game will get together during the half an crown "Miss Ricksha of 1945."  In addition, having nothing better to do0, they will present cups to all of the contestants.  The ricksha coolies will pull their rickshas out of the way and watch the games.  That oughta be something.  And that's all there is.  If you've been lucky enough to get a ticket, we'll see you at the game.  If not, well, XMHA, is broadcasting all of the events, as you can at least have ringside seat by your radio.

10th Weather Squadron
Lydia Galiskberoff
Navy Shore Facilities
Nina Kurgansky
14th Air Force
Trixie Singer
Naval Adv. Base
Gallia Fein-Fedorishik
Kiangwan Air Base
Millie Pavlovsky
SSC Deputy Commanders Office
Lucy Huang
SSC Singnal Section
Grace Lee
14th Air Depot
Tita Sokaloff
CASC Headquarters
Mary Ribalova
Army Liaison
Ann Goodpasture
SSC AG Section
Joyce Anderson
Mary Hoffman
Base Engineer Compound
Eva Altmine
Hqs. AAF, CT
Cpl. Betty Shants
Port Command
Alice Chung
10th AF
Margaret Baptiste
Port Quartermaster
June Nergaard (Närgård)
China Theater Hqs.
Frances Tong
Stars and Stripes
Edlyne Dongworth

Scratched: 172nd General Hospital, Lt. Marcia Goldsmith

Derby Day, Rickshaw Races. Won by June Nergaard and Coolie "Paavo-Nurmi" Wong
Miss Margaret Blanchard was in the early lead.  Estimates of 1,500,000 people watching the race were written.
Rear Admiral C. T. Joy draped the traditional floral Derby Horseshoe over the winning coolie.
Book link

US Navy Employee, Ninotchka (Nina) Kurgansky, in Shanghai of the US 7th Fleet personnel as their entry in the Rickshaw Derby.

The Portsmouth Herald from Portsmouth, New Hampshire · Page 4

Navy did beat the Army after all last Saturday. Way out in the "China bowl" at Shanghai Navy drubbed Army 12-0 before 10,000 wildly cheering GI fans. Two touchdowns in the first five minutes, which is quite different from the "Philadelphia story," netted the sailors a bowl win in Canidrome stadium, a former dog track. So anyway, Swede, the Army was rushed off its feet there. The soldier team, without any Blanchards or Davises, was inferior in power, weight, and experience. Reports say they never transgressed beyond the enemy 35-yard line. Stars and stripes. Army newspaper, gave the fracas a big buildup and. 20,000 hot dogs and doughnuts were handed out by the Red Cross, adding to the kick some were getting out of seeing their first gridiron tilt In two or three years. Not only was the Army team bewildered, but more than 1,500,000 Chinese were equally so. A three-mile rickshaw race hurtled past startled natives along the route ending up in the stadium before the kickoff. Each rickshaw, apparently sporting a smooth looking girl who got Chinese whistles and oriental "huba hubas," was drawn by a white sweat-shirted coolie. The winner was a pretty Swedish brunette representing the. Navy (another triumph, Swede) port command. She was Miss June Nergaard (Närgård) of Shanghai. Lt. Gen. Albert C. Wedemeyer, commanding U. S. forces In China, presented her a silver loving cup. The "power" received a floral wreath--racehorse fashion--and 7,000,000 puppet dollars, which would be about $25 in American sheckles. One ricksha entry never did reach the stadium. 

 US Naval Operating Base, Shanghai, China, September 1945.. joe grasson
Rickshaw Race "china bowl" 1945 Canidrome, China

RICKSHAW DERBY IN SHANGHAI SHANGHAI, Nov. Betty Shaiitz of Vancouver, a member of the United States Women's Army Corps, is one of 17 girls in a group including Russians, Chinese and Americans entered in the rickshaw derby which will precede Saturday's army-navy China Bowl football game here. The girls paraded for newspapermen here Tuesday while the coolies who will pull them from the waterfront to Canidrome Station during the ceremony went through stiff workouts at the Shanghai racecourse. Lt.Gen. George Stratemeyer, commanding general of United States air" forces in the China theatre, is sponsoring the Canadian girl in the derby.
This football is from the 1945 China Bowl, played in Shanghai, some 13 hours before the Army-Navy game was played back home. 
But you have to change your thinking about the Army-Navy game from now to then. In 1945 Army was on their way to a national championship. Navy was a one-loss team and would finish second in the nation. This was at the height of their powers when it came to football respect. Anyway, this was also 1945. The war was just over. This game was played by a bunch of Army soldiers against sailors of the line. The Navy won. This football was signed by all the members of that team and sent back home. But look at that date: Dec. 1, 1945.

Book Link to the Game and Rickshaw races watched by possibly 1,500,000
KC Star 
NAVY WINS THIS ONE. Army Is Beaten, 0 to 12, in the China Bowl. Shanghai , Dec. l.(AP) — Two touchdowns in the first five minutes gave Navy a 12-0 victory over Army in the first China bowl football game, played before 10,000 wildly enthusiastic GI fans in Canidrome stadium—a former dog track.
Some 30,000 G.I.'s and sailors sat through the Army-Navy football game,
the first show of ballyhoo that this town has seen in many years. This violent scramble--one of many--is of the game, which goes on city records as one of as many as can be counted on the fingers, hands, ever played here.  Half of the spacious Canidrome grandstands was occupied by the Navy and the other half by the Army.  The crouching figure on the sideline fast behind player ...and uses a "handie-talkie" super-portable two-way receiver radio gadget.  US Navy Photo.
Andy "Swede" Oberlander, Navy Coach, China Bowl,
 Shanghai 1945
Andrew James "Swede" Oberlander (February 17, 1905 – January 1968) was an All-American halfback for Dartmouth College's "Big Green" undefeated and national college championship football team in 1925. 
That year he passed for 14 touchdowns and ran for 12. In a 62–13 victory over Cornell, Oberlander had 477 yards in total offense, including six touchdown passes, a Dartmouth record which still stands.Oberlander was an assistant coach at Ohio State University from 1926 to 1929 and head coach at Wesleyan University from 1930 to 1933. While at Wesleyan, he commuted to New Haven and received his MD from Yale School of Medicine.
In World War II, as a Lt. Commander in the United States Navy Reserve, he was chief medical officer aboard the USS Samaritan (AH-10), in the Pacific Fleet. When the war ended, many U.S. troops remained in the Far East awaiting transportation back to the States. Oberlander was head coach of the Navy All-Stars team that beat the Army team 12–0 in the China Bowl on November 30, 1945 in Shanghai. Later, Oberlander served as Medical Director for National Life Insurance Company of Vermont and Prudential Insurance Company in Chicago and Newark.

Oberlander was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1954.

Oberlander's 500-yard game
By Bernie McCarty
Dartmouth's Andy "Swede" Oberlander may have been the first player in football history to run and pass for 500 yards from scrimmage in a single game. The 62-13 thrashing Dartmouth handed previously unbeaten Cornell Nov. 7, 1925 has been much chronicled. Strangely, no researchers have made an attempt to compile the game statistics from the numerous detailed contemporary newspaper
accounts. The Associated Press reported a Dartmouth team passing figure of 12 completions in 19 attempts for 231 yards. But by all accounts Oberlander's six touchdown passes alone gained over 210 yards. Approximate figures satisfy this writer as an indicator of a gridder's statistical performance. Certainly no exact totals can be re-created from old newspaper accounts, especially pre-1930. Trying to be as conservative as possible, this writer has developed the following approximate stats for Oberlander vs. Cornell: 11 pass completions in 14 attempts for 313 yards, and 19 rushes for 160 yards. A total of 473 yards. Oberlander's figures definitely are not less, and could be much more. Oberlander's six touchdown heaves covered 15, 21 and 52 yards to wingback Myles Lane, 49 and 50 yards to end George Tully, and 24 yards to end "Heine" Sage. Some sources award longer distances for the TD tosses. Oberlander accounted for eight touchdowns in all by scoring himself on runs of one and 48 yards. Oberlander set up his one-yard TD plunge by punting 55 yards to the Big Red 11 where tackle Nate Parker recovered a fumble. Tully connected on all eight of his conversion attempts. The astonishing triumph over Cornell probably represents the high point in Indian grid history. 130 one can argue Dartmouth fielded its greatest football machine in 1925. Four Indian graders were named to the United Press' All-America first team, Oberlander, Tully, guard Carl "Dutch" Diehl, and tackle and captain Nate Parker. And quarterback Bob MacPhail, Sage and Lane were something special. Lane, a sophomore and Oberlander's favorite receiver, ranked among the nation's scoring leaders in 1925 with 18 touchdowns. Oberlander scored 12 TD's, but his total number of TD passes may forever be a mystery. Now let's add some real sports writing to this essay. Granny Rice reviewed the Dartmouth-Cornell fracas in the Monday, Nov. 9 edition of the New York Herald Tribune.
"Dartmouth, in scoring nine touchdowns against Cornell, put on the greatest combined passing and running attack football has yet shown. It was one of those astounding exhibitions of skill that a
spectator may look upon once in ten years. "Swede Oberlander was the main wrecking party in a Cornell debacle. A rangy 200-pound six-footer, he threw the ball 40 and 50 yards as accurately as
Johnny Kling or Jimmy Archer ever pegged to second base. He ran the ends; hit the line; he took out tacklers for Lane and other
Dartmouth backs; he tackled with deadly effect and when he kicked his spirals traveled 55 yards. Every department of it was the finest exhibition of all-around brilliancy in his football prime. The game that any back has shown since Jim Thorpe knew Oberlander's long passes were thrown with a consistent and flawless accuracy almost beyond belief. And when they were thrown half the length of the field more often than not, Tully, Lane and Sage, flying for the goal, were taking the ball out of the air as Speaker handles an outfield fly."
Oberlander was a phenomenal all-around football player. But it was his 1925 performance as a passer of amazing marksmanship, strength and poise that gained the big tailback lasting fame. A rugged young man, Oberlander operated at tackle in 1923 when Dartmouth compiled an 8-1 record, losing only to Cornell. In 1924, with Oberlander in the backfield, the Indians went undefeated, the record being marred by a 14-14 tie with Yale. Oberlander reached his peak in 1925 and Dartmouth roared through a perfect campaign, receiving considerable attention in the various national championship listings. Even approximate stats are probably unrecoverable from Dartmouth's four early 1925 victories over Norwich, Hobart, Vermont and Maine. The 14-0 Indian win over rugged Brown isn't worth statistics. Blocked punts set up both Dartmouth tallies. This was the forerunner of the famous undefeated Brown "Iron Men" club of 1926.
The Indians polished off Harvard 32-9 before 53,000 at Cambridge. It was the worst Harvard defeat up to that time. According to the AP, Oberlander passed for 123 yards and two TD's, rushed for 122 yards and one TD, and gained 129 yards returning intercepted passes. Let's leave it at that in order to devote space here to the Dartmouth season finale against Chicago. Many "experts" at the time felt Chicago would prove to be Dartmouth's Waterloo. Famed Maroon coach Amos Alonzo Stagg had fashioned a mighty defensive line, and Stagg was a pioneer in the art of forward passing. If any opponent could stop Oberlander's passing it would be Chicago. The Maroon season record was only 3-4-1. Chicago challenged only top-flight foes, however, beat Purdue and Northwestern and tied Ohio State, and stopped "Red" Grange in the mud, something powerful Penn (a 6-0 victor over Chicago) could not do. It was no contest as the Indians rolled 33-7. Oberlander pitched four scoring aerials and another punt, this time rolling for 51 yards, set up the other TD when Parker picked up a fumble and scooted 13 yards to the end zone. Chicago could not handle Lane who simply blew past the secondary to grab three touchdown tosses. MacPhail ran wild for over 100 yards, reeling off gallops of 30, 25, 15, 13 and 10 yards. And Lane and MacPhail excelled on pass defense. The various detailed newspaper accounts of the game differ so much that even approximate stats may be impossible to compile for Oberlander. He seems to have completed 11 of 17 passes for about 200 yards, and rushed for close to 100 yards -- a total in the neighborhood of 300 yards. An important final note. The year 1925 ranks with 1947 as one of the two greatest seasons in grid history for the sheer number of all-time superstars produced. Forget Grange, "Wildcat" Wilson, Ernie Nevers, Benny Friedman, "Peggy" Flourney, Eddie Tryon, "Pooley" Hubert and Johnny Mack Brown, Jack Slagle, and on and on. Oberlander was the only unanimous All-America backfield choice in 1925.


  • Position: Tackle/Halfback
  • School: Dartmouth
  • High School: Everett, MA (Everett HS)
  • Years: 1923-1925
  • Inducted: 1954
  • Place of Birth: Chelsea, MA
  • Date of Birth: Feb 17, 1905
  • Place of Death: Mount Vernon, NY
  • Date of Death: Jan 01, 1968
  • Jersey Number: 54
  • Height: 6-0
  • Weight: 197

Original 1925 photograph (8X10) of Dartmouth Quarterback Andy 
Oberlander. He was the first true Passing Quarterback in Football and 
in this photo he demonstrates the form that made him famous. He is 
a College Football Hall of Famer but this photo is significant beyond 
that as a Pioneer in the game. 

Madeline Chase and Dr. Andy Oberlander

Madeline Chase Oberlander

Andy Oberlander Visits the White House

"The Hump" was a highaltitude military aerial supply route between the Assam Valley in northeastern India, across northern Burma, to Yunnan province in southwestern China, flown during World War II. This operation was the first sustained, long range, 24 hour around the clock, all weather, military aerial supply line in history. It was a start-from-scratch operation. There was no precedent for it.
In April, 1942, China lost the Burma Road, its last remaining supply line to the outside world, due to the invasion of Burma by Japanese troops. The Road extended 425 miles from Lashio, Burma to Kunming, China. China's eastern seaports had previously been closed by Japanese invasion troops and the Japanese Navy.
The United States determined a continuous flow of military supplies into China had to continue to enable the Chinese Army, and the U. S. Army 14th Air Force (formerly the American Volunteer Group (AVGs) and the China Air Task Force) in China, to remain effective and keep pressure on Japanese occupational troops, thereby denying their use as fighting forces in other parts of the CBI or south Pacific. The only means left for getting supplies to China was by air. Due to the presence of Japanese Army and Air Force in northern Burma, the only available air route to China was via the Hump route.
The Hump route was an unlikely route for regular flight operations due to high terrain and extremely severe weather. It crossed a north-south extension of the main Himalaya Mountains that ran south through northern Burma and western China. On the very north end of the extension terrain exceeded 20,000MSL in height. Average elevations lowered to the south but did not fall below 12,000MSL for approximately 140 miles. The routes flown fell between these two extremes.
Northern Burma was largely uninhabited except for wild native tribes. In addition to mountains, it was covered by tropical rain forest with trees reaching over 150 feet in height. River gorges of the Salween, Mekong and Yangtze Rivers exceeded 10,000 feet in depth. Uncivilized headhunter tribes existed on the southern rim of the main Himalayas in China.
Severe weather existed on the Hump almost year around. The monsoon season, with heavy cloudiness, fierce rain and embedded severe thunderstorms with turbulence severe enough to damage aircraft, existed from around May into October of each year. The late fall and winter flying weather was better with many VFR days. However, heavy ground fogs, with ground visibilities down to zero/zero, occurred almost nightly during the early winter, and severe thunderstorms still occurred over the route on an irregular basis. Winter winds aloft were extreme, often exceeding 100MPH. Most night flying had to be done by instruments from takeoff due to lack of any ground or horizon references, until well into western China.
Early flights were basically daylight operations that were often forced to the northern portion of the Hump due to the presence of Japanese fighter aircraft to the south flying out of Myitkyina, Burma. Terrain heights in this area generally averaged around 15,000 to 16,000MSL. This was the high Hump.
The Hump initially contained few enroute navigational aids. Enroute communications were poor, and air traffic control, except for local control towers, did not exist. Aeronautical charts were very unreliable and weather reporting was very poor. These conditions slowly improved after the arrival of the U. S. Army Airways Communications Service (AACS) in August 1943.
Homing beacons existed at each airfield in India and China. These homers were severely affected by weather, night effect, and static electricity that built up on aircraft. Airport instrument approaches were normally conducted to airports on homing beacons and were non-precision approaches.
Living conditions in the Assam Valley were primitive. Personnel generally lived in tents or bamboo bashas. A few lived in tea plantation bungalows or in bungalow outbuildings. During the monsoon season bases were seas of mud. Sidewalks and tent foundations had to be elevated to stay above standing water. Temperatures during the monsoon season were extremely hot with very high humidity. Clothes and shoes mildewed within days. Food was government issued C-ration. Personnel did not eat off base for sanitary reasons. Malaria and dysentery were prevalent diseases. Water could be consumed only after purification by iodine.
Maintenance of aircraft was a serious problem due to a shortage of parts and poor working conditions. The need for maintenance was high due to the need to fly aircraft well above their normal operating limits. Work during the monsoon season mostly had to be done at night due to the heat. There were no hangers for aircraft maintenance. All maintenance work had to be done in the aircraft parking areas. Make shift covers had to be placed over engines to complete engine work during the rainy season.
The first supply mission over the Hump occurred in April, 1942, when the U. S. Army 10th Air Force in India contracted with the African Division of Pan-American Airways to handle the transport of 30,000 gallons of gasoline and 500 gallons of lubricants to China for use by the B-25s of the Doolittle Raiders. The Raiders had expected to refuel in China after their April raid on Tokyo. These Pan-American aircraft were also involved in the evacuation of northern Burma in May 1942.
Regular Hump operations began in May, 1942, with 27 aircraft (converted U. S. airline DC-3s, C-39s # C-53s) and approximately 1,100 personnel from New Malir Air Base, a British base located in the Sind Desert about 20 miles east of Karachi in western India. The aircraft and personnel were members of the First Ferry Group, provided by the U. S. Army Air Forces Ferry Command. The Group was attached to the U. S. Army 10th Air Force, newly established in India and headquartered in New Delhi, for logistical support. Their first regular Hump operations crossed India and eventually jumped off for the Hump leg of their flights from Dinjan, a British Air Base located in the upper Assam Valley. During April and May approximately 96 tons of supplies were delivered to China.
The 1st Ferry Group moved to the Assam Valley in August of 1942 where several bases were still under construction for the Hump operation. Initially these operations were conducted on sod and steel mat airstrips. On December 1, 1942, the Air Transport Command (ATC), formed on 7/1/1942 from the Ferry Command, established an India-China Wing, also headquartered in New Delhi This ATC Wing was then assigned the primary mission of flying supplies over the Hump route to China. The first Wing commander was Colonel (later Brigadier General) Edward H. Alexander. The aircraft and support personnel of the 1st Ferry Group were transferred to this Wing.
The ATC was a world wide Command that reported directly to the War Department in Washington, DC rather than to Theater Commanders. The Wing assigned the immediate responsibility of flying the Hump to the Assam-China Group, headquartered at Chabua Air Base in the Assam Valley, under the command of Colonel Tom Rafferty, former commander of the 1st Ferry Group. In the fall of 1943 the Wing was divided into Sectors with the East Sector, based at Chabua under the command of Colonel Thomas O. Hardin, continuing with the responsibility for the Hump operation. Colonel Hardin shortly afterward implemented an all-weather, around the clock Hump operation.
On October 15, 1943, command of the Wing was transferred to Brigadier General Earl S. Hoag. On January 21, 1944, Colonel Hardin was promoted to Brigadier General and on March 15, 1944, assumed command of the India-China Wing. At this time the Wing became the ATC India-China Division and the Sectors became Wings. Concurrently the Division Headquarters office was moved to the Hastings Mills complex in Calcutta. On September 3, 1944, Major General William H. Tunner became the fourth and final commander of the India-China Division.
Initially the Hump was flown with converted Douglas DC-3, C-39, C-53 and military Douglas C-47 aircraft. Loads over the Hump grew slowly until the arrival of Consolidated C-87s (converted B-24s) in December 1942 and the Curtiss C-46 in April 1943. The C-46 was a large super-charged twin-engine aircraft capable of flying faster, higher and carrying heavier loads than the C-47. The C-87, and its C-109 tanker modification, was a supercharged four engine aircraft capable of flying higher and faster but with smaller loads than the C-46. With these aircraft loads over the Hump reached 12,594 tons in December, 1943. Loads continued to increase in 1944 and 1945, reaching its maximum capacity in July 1945.
A military offensive against the Japanese Army began in February, 1944. By August, 1944, this offensive had forced the Japanese Army south far enough to enable the Hump operation to move south over the lower Hump with elevations generally not over 12,000MSL. This move increased the efficiency of the operation. Douglas C-54 aircraft were added to the operation in the fall of 1944 for further efficiency. The C-54s were based in the Calcutta area and crossed the Hump on the south end. This reduced the need to haul materials by rail to the Assam Valley for transport.
In July, 1945, 77,306 tons of supplies were flown over the Hump to China. At that time the ATC was operating 622 aircraft, supported by 34,000 U. S. military personnel and 47,000 civilian personnel.
Loads carried over the Hump were many and verified. The primary load was gasoline, carried in 55 gallon drums and added to by siphoning from tanks of the carrying aircraft. Also carried were: small arms and ammunition, small vehicles, heavy equipment cut up and carried in pieces, truck and aircraft engines, bombs and aircraft machine gun ammunition, mortar shells, hospital equipment, personnel, 20' lengths of 4" pipe, etc.
All operations over the hump required use of oxygen. Oxygen was provided to crewmembers by a demand system which provided oxygen on inhale. It also had a constant flow and an emergency forced flow capability. Oxygen masks were very uncomfortable. Regulations required that oxygen be used above 12,000MSL during daytime and above 10,000MSL at night.
Initially search and rescue efforts to find downed aircraft were informal and spasmodic. About August, 1943, search and rescue took a more formal approach with the establishment of a Search and Rescue group by the ATC. Equipped initially with C-47 aircraft and later with B-25 aircraft, this group swept the mountains and jungles of Burma and the mountains of western China at low altitudes in search of downed aircraft. This group proved very successful in finding and helping downed crews return to safety. PT-17s, L-4s and L-5s of the group flew out many downed airman.
Operations ended over 3 ½ years later on November 15, 1945, when the Hump was officially closed down. The last full month of war-time operations was July, 1945. Military supply operations were discontinued in August, 1945. The final months of operations provided for the closing of China Hump bases and the moving of support personnel from China to India for transportation home.
The success of this operation did not come lightly. Official records of Search and Rescue were closed at the end of 1945. Their final records showed 509 crashed aircraft records "closed", and 81 lost aircraft still classified as "open". Three hundred twenty-eight (328) of the lost aircraft were ATC. Thirteen hundred fourteen (1,314) crew members were known dead, 1,171 walked out to safety, and 345 were declared still missing.
Aircraft from other Air Force Commands also operated over the Hump routes during this time period. The China National Airways Corporation (CNAC), a civilian Chinese-American airline, owned jointly by the Chinese government and Pan-American Airways, flew the route primarily in DC-3s, C-47s and late added C-46s during the entire period and were a very prominent part of the Hump operation.
Troop Carrier Command Squadrons, assigned to the U. S Army 10th Air Force and flying C-47s, entered the theater in January 1943. Their primary mission was to support combat and supply operations in the Theater. They flew the Hump routes irregularly as required by their primary mission. Some of their squadrons flew the Hump regularly during the last few months of the war following the cessation of ground activities in Burma.
The 1st Air Commando Group (initially the 5318th Provisional Unit (Air)) was a special Air Force unit initially developed for action in Burma to support the British Chindit expeditions into Burma. The Group was comprised of Douglas C-47s, CG-41 Waco gliders, Noorduyn C-64 Norseman cargo aircraft, Vultee L-1 liaison aircraft, Stinson L-5 Sentinels, the Sikorsky Helicopter, the YR-4, the first helicopter to be used under combat conditions, P-51A Mustangs for fighter cover and B-25 medium bombers. This unit first saw action in March 1944. The Group was under the joint command of Lt. Col. Philip G. Cochran, a fighter pilot from North Africa, and Lt. Colonel John R. Alison, formerly with the 23rd Fighter Group of the U. S. 14th Air Force in China.
The 20th Bomber Command, of the 20th Air Force, arrived in the theater in April, 1944, flying B-29s, very heavy bombers. Their home bases were located at Kharagphur and 4 other air bases about 75 miles west of Calcutta, India. They were accompanied by three Air Transport Squadrons that flew C-46s in logistic support of this Command. The 20th departed the theater in March, 1945. During this period these B-29s and C-46s regularly flew the Hump in support of their primary mission, which was to bomb the southern islands of Japan from their forward bases in Chengtu, China.

Four squadrons of the 1st Combat Cargo Group, also assigned to the 10th Air Force and flying C-47s, arrived in the theater beginning in May 1944. Additional Groups soon followed. Together with the Troop Carrier Squadrons their primary mission was to support American and Chinese Ground Forces in the 1944-45 Burma offensive. Supplies delivered included those necessary to keep the fighting forces on the ground operating effectively. Reluctant mules were often included among these supplies. Supplies were delivered by aerial drops where no landing fields were available. These aircraft also provided troop replacements and aerial evacuation of the sick and wounded, often operating out of fields in close proximity to enemy forces. Near the end of this offensive some of their units were also assigned to fly the Hump regularly. Also flying the Hump on an irregular basis were aircraft of the U. S. 14th Air Force, the British Royal Air Force and the Royal Australian Air Force.

Army-Navy Game, 1945

In yesterday’s Army-Navy football game, Navy came out on top for the eleventh time in a row by a score of 17-13.
Sixty-seven years ago, on the other side of the globe, Navy beat Army 12-0. On Dec. 1, 1945, the festive football game brought a taste of home to tens of thousands of U.S. servicemen stuck in Shanghai, China, awaiting transport back to the states after World War II. SACO’s Phil Bucklew, a two-season NFL veteran with the Cleveland Rams, coached Navy with at least three other SACOs on the team. More than a million people turned out to watch the pregame rickshaw race through the streets of Shanghai, and the Red Cross treated twenty thousand servicemen to hotdogs at the game.
Bucklew went on to coach football at Columbia University before returning to active duty and commanding the first Navy SEALs team, earning the moniker, “the Father of Naval Special Warfare.” The Phil Bucklew Naval Special Warfare Center in Coronado, Calif., is named in his honor.
Phil Bucklew, Father of the Naval Special Warefare
Rice Bowl Kunming CBI
Pfc. William B. Deem, Sgt. John A Hanna, Cpl Robert C. Hutchinson, SSGT Loyal R. Briggs, Warren Penn, Sgt. Carl E. Schenk, Sgt. Charle K. Mette, Fred B. Heath, Cpl. Roland J. Sikorski, Cpl. Ray W. Miller, Cpl. Joe Yovish, Sgt Joe B. Valai, Cpl. Peter Baktis, Pfc Water J. Culberson, TSGT Richard C Miller, Cpl Jack W. Eslick. 1945 CBI History Link
All the guys on this team were members of the 128th AACS stationed at Kunming, 1944.  We were undefeated (6 games) until we played the ground forces team in the Rice Bowl.  General Chenault bet the Ground Forces General of the CBI that his team would win.  We didn't know that the Ground Forces General recruited guys from all over to play us.  Most were professional and college players.  We had one college player on our team.  The rest were all high school players.  Anyway these guys showed how to play the game of football.  Anyway we had more fun watching Chenault pay off his bet.

and the REAL Army Navy Game in the United States, just hours after the one played in Shanghai....

No comments: