Search This Blog

October 30, 2014

Odd, Tragic, Bizzare Stories of old Johnson County, Missouri

(President) Ronald Regan Played the part of Sen. George Graham Vest,
Tribute to a Dog episode of "Death Valley Days"
This is the famous trial held in Johnson County MO Warrensburg 1870

Celebrating A Football Victory 7-0 of Drury by State Standard of Warrensburg, MO Johnson County Courthouse Lawn
Stone Photography 

The Washington Herald. (Washington, DC) 19 July 1921

KANSAS CITY. Mo. July 19 The Law of the take bucket and the black snake ruled in the Southwest During the weekend of according to reports here today. A woman was tarred and feathered Saturday night. Mrs. Beula Johnson, Who has been charged bigamy, was taken from the porch of a hotel at Tenaba. Taken by masked men in white uniforms. After ye have been taken to a secluded spot in the countryside she was tarred and feathered. Her clothing was removed before she was punished. Richard Johnson. 74 years old. Was taken from his wagon at Warrensburg. Mo., by three armed marked but his clothing towers off and flogged. A family quarrel as reported to havebeen Responsible for the affair.

January 29, 1916
Farmer Killed by Cane Cutter, Warrensburg, Missouri
Tools Too Hot to Handle, Quarry Workers, Warrensburg, MO
Three prisoners broke jail last night.  Finis Bancroft, larceny, J. M. Mayfield, embezzlement, and Sam Sanders, arson.  They are still at liberty.
  Mules Football Player Dies at Practice 1964
At Central Missouri State college in Warrensburg, MO, Bill Allen, 18, freshman football player died after he ran into a dummy blocking device in practice.
Sam Francis, NFL Player, Chicago Bears, Marries Hillie Rich in Warrensburg Missouri

John A. Perdue, Columbus, Missouri (Quantrill)

(Kansas City, Mo.), February 9 1899

Missour Mossback Dead
Warrensburg, MO Feb 8 John A. Perdue, probably the oldest native resident of Johnson County, died at Columbus (Missouri) last night aged 70 years. It was his boast that he had never lived elsewhere than in one residence, have never ridden upon a train or voted other than a Democratic tickets.
Kills Man in Making Arrest Pine Street Shooting Gallery Warrensburg
Warrensburg. Douglas Eads, Jr., 30 years old was mortally wounded here by Night Watchman Howard and died thirty minutes later. The shooting occurred in a shooting gallery on Pine Street. Eads who was a son of Douglas Eads, Sr., cashier at the People's National Bank at Warrensburg, was the proprietor of the shooting gallery and at the time of the tragedy was conducting a competitive shoot for prizes.

SEDALIA, MISSOURI, SUNDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 26, 1909. PRICE FIVE CENTS DOUGLAS EADS, JR., SON OF CASHIER OF BANK OF WARRENSBURG, KILLED. NIGHT WATCHMAN DID THE DEED Dead Man Was Owner of a Shooting Gallery—Quarreled With Patron, Related Arrest and Met Sudden Death. Special to the Democrat-Sentinel. Warrensburg, Mo., Dec. 25.—Douglas Eads, jr., aged 30, was mortally wounded here tonight by Night Watchman Howard and died thirty minutes later. The shooting occurred in a shooting gallery on Pine Street. Eads is a son of Douglas Eads, Sr., cashier of the People’s National bank of Warrensburg, and had been conducting the Shooting gallery. Several patrons entered his place of business to shoot for premiums. During one of the contests an argument arose between Eads and a man named Huffaker over the score made by Huffaker. Night Watchman Howard appeared on the scene and started to arrest both the owner and Huffaker. Eads resisted arrest, saying he would not go to jail. He secured a meat ax and defied arrest. Howard, according to witnesses, waited several minutes, when he again told Eads he would have to go to jail for creating a disturbance. Again Eads objected, saying he would not go Eads then changed his mind, saying that he would submit to arrest, and started to put on his coat, preparatory to going to jail, but suddenly decided for a third time that he would not be arrested. Howard then told him that he (Eads) would have to go to jail, whether he wanted to or not, and if he (Eads) hit him he would be shot. Eads then disarmed himself and defied arrest, and when Howard made another attempt to take him struck at the officer. The latter drew his revolver and fired. Eads fell unconscious to the floor, mortally wounded, and died thirty minutes later. Howard immediately after the shooting gave himself up to the authorities and was locked m jail, pending the result of the coroner’s inquest, which will be held tomorrow. Eads has a wife and two children, while Howard has a wife and four children.

WARRENSBURG, Mo., July 9. Frank Davidson, Who Killed William Haggerty Sept. 21, 1878, and who was sentenced to be hanged to-day, spent a very restless night, and only slept from a little after two o'clock Until 5 this morning. He was baptized this morning at 8:45 o'clock village Elder Foy, of the Christian Church.
Pair's confessions in raise questions 
The coroner's inquest into the death of William Busch Began on Monday, Feb. 13.1928. More information Continued to reach Sedalia Police and Pettis County Sheriff George Rector, so the inquest was continued until 1 pm Wednesday, Feb. 15. Much of the testimony presented Wednesday detailed the movement of Walter and Lewis Garrett, who had been arrested for shooting Busch. The Reward Offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killers Continued to Increase. Beginning as a $ 250 reward from The Sedalia Democrat, it had grown to $ 1,500, and included a pledge of $ 1,000 from the Chamber of Commerce. In addition to this reward, the Painters and Decorators Union had collected money to pay for an attorney to Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Couey in trying Collins and Mabry. On Thursday, Feb. 16, The Democrat printed a surprising storyline reporting That Two other but had confessed to the killing. One confession, given to Johnson County Sheriff Mason Lane, was made on Wednesday by 17-year-old Ellis Collins. The other confession, made on Thursday morning, came from Lawrence Mabry. The confessions and the Manner by which they were obtained were interesting, to say the least, and raise numerous questions. Collins and Mabry had been arrested in Independence for stealing a Ford two door sedan from the front yard of the AC Bass' home in Warrensburg. Their confessions reveal a series of crimes committed between Warrensburg and Kansas City. The Democrat quoted Sheriff Lane, who said he extracted a confession from Mabry after he "had preached a sermon to the boy." Included in Lane's sermon was the revelation That Already Collins had confessed and had accused Mabry of shooting Busch. Lane received assistance in extracting the confession from Dr. Cannady, president of the Sedalia Chamber of Commerce. Cannady had heard That Collins and Mabry were in jail in Warrensburg. He told reporters Democrat that he had "awakened early Wednesday morning and could not go back to sleep Because of the Thoughts that came to him" about Collins and Mabry. His "premonition" led him to call Lane and ask if he could speak to the two men. Lane Agreed. Cannady and Sedalia Clyde Patterson drove to Warrensburg, and with Lane, spoke alternately to the but in a conversation Lane described as a "grilling." After the intense questioning, Cannady and Patterson Returned to Sedalia. Lane said he allowed the men to rest before resuming the questioning. Late Wednesday, Collins "weakened" and confessed That he and Mabry had attempted to rob Busch, but That Mabry had fired the shots That killed him. Mabry confessed the next day. Prosecutor Couey, hearing of the arrest and confession, decided to file charges of first-degree murder against Collins and Mabry the Busch family hired attorney Paul Barnett, to assist in the prosecution, and attorney Roy Rucker volunteered his assistance. On Thursday, Barnett and Rucker Accompanied Prosecutor Couey to Warrensburg to interview the accused. At Lane's request, Couey Agreed That The Two Men Should stay in the Johnson County Jail Until They were to Appear in Court The Democrat Suggested That sentiment against Collins and Mabry was so strong in Sedalia That the men would be in danger if They were kept in The Pettis County jail. Another Consideration, not mentioned by the press, was that the Pettis County jail was so insecure that Collins and Mabry Could have moonrise escaped they had wished. The coroner's jury recommended Wednesday evening That Lewis and Walter Garrett REMAIN in jail pending Further Investigation of Their Actions. The Democrat speculated on Thursday That the Garrett, who had been arrested "after a statement had been made by Mr. and Mrs. JH Rose," would be released after Collins and Mabry's confession. Prosecutor Couey acknowledged That Walter Garrett would be released, but That Lewis Garrett was still being investigated. He did not elaborate on the nature of the investigation. The case became a topic of discussion at the Chamber of Commerce meeting as well as at the places where locals gathered. In addition to printing the full text of the men's confessions and an Account of the Series of Crimes That resulted in Their arrests The Democrat reporter interviewed the men's families, Uncovered Their past criminal activities and Associates and printed the details of Their previous misdeeds. Next week's column continues the story of the murder of William Busch.

January 31, 1905
End Suffering village Inhaling Gas.
SH Kuntz. Formerly a quartermaster sergeant in the army at Manila, Took His Life Last night in his room by inhaling gas. He left a note saying that he had been suffering for many months and that he could no longer stand the pain. A note Addressed to his mother. Mrs. Augusta Stryker of Warrensburg, Mo., was found among his effects. He served two terms in the army and enlisted under the name of Charles Coleman. He was about 40 years old

May 6, 1868

Mr. Lewis, living near Warrensburg, Missouri Decided to mix some gunpowder and ashes as medicine for a cow. He poured some powder from a twelve-pound can fade a shovel full of ashes which Proved to be not enough to ignite the powder. An explosion Followed, Which blew the roof off the house, killed two children, and injured Mr. Lewis.

No comments: