History and pictures of Johnson County and Western Missouri. Warrensburg, Knob Noster, Holden, WAFB, UCM, Chilhowee, Leeton, La Tour, Centerview, Kingsville, Columbus and more. Thanks McClure Archives at UCM, Trails Regional Library.
Please visit JOCOMO Historical Society https://jocomohistory.com/order-join-donate/ Open 1-4 PM, Tuesday–Saturday. Email:email@example.com
Follow us at https://www.facebook.com/jocomohistory.
302 N. Main,Warrensburg,MO 64093 660-747-6480
Hotel Estes and Dummy Line to Pertle Springs
WHS Class of 73
Search This Blog
October 26, 2014
1874 - 1907 Breweries Based in Warrensburg, Missouri
Philip Gross Brewery , Warrensburg, Missouri
The Warrensburg Brewery established in 1865 by Philip Gross; made as high as 2,000 barrels of beer annually: was burned down by the temperance forces in 1873: rebuilt and finally last operated about 1910 by Mr. Murche. Philip Gross Brewery opened in 1874 and closed in 1897 it was open for 23 years. PHILIP GROSS, proprietor of the Brewery. Was born Jan. 1st, 1821, in Germany. Emigrated to the U.S. in 1849, and stopped in Boonville, Missouri. In 1865 came to Warrensburg and erected his brewery and established the present business. He married Miss Boller of Boonville in 1852, and has 7 children living. Julia, Matilda, Laura, Louisa, Hannah, Herman and Emil.
INVESTMENT—Man with small amount of money can manage soda bottling company on the basis of dividing the profits; this is a modern, up to date plant and will make big Income for right party; owner wants partner to make small Investment only because of his having some financial responsibility. Address Franz Murche, 415 W. Pine St.. Warrensburg. Mo. From Kansas City Star January 27, 1929
Old Miscellaneous Industries.-Among the industries of Warrensburg that have lived and gone are: 1. The Warrensburg Brewery established in 1865 by Philip Gross; made as high as 2,000 barrels of beer annually: was burned down by the temperance forces in 1873: rebuilt, and finally last operated about 1910 by Mr. Murche. 2. The Edward L. DeGarmo & Company, woolen mills, built in 1867, and that used to turn out 200 yards of goods daily, besides buying' annually 30,000 pounds of wool sold as yarn. 3. The foundry of David and W. Y. Urie, founded in 1874. ran on West Pine street, and used to make up 250.000 pounds of iron a year. Mr. William Urie, the last proprietor, moved to Kansas City some time in the eighties.Depot Brewery 101 South Holden Street, Warrensburg, Missouri Depot Brewery