|Original Johnson County, MO Courthouse in Old Town|
|Odd Fellows Hall, Warrensburg, MO Dedicated Nov. 12, 1917|
The train would make Sedalia in time for supper and my recollection Is that we've got to Warrensburg about 8 in the evening - just 12 hours after we pulled out of St. Louis. The fare from St. Louis here was $ 12.50.
|This is not from Warrensburg but typical of a Harness Shop of the Time.|
|Warrensburg, MO panoramic Click to enlarge|
"What improvements did we have then? Nothing at all, except a lot of cheap frame buildings. There was not a brick house in the New Town, and no bank Until The Fall of 1866. As for the streets, all we had was the brush Cut Away So wagons Could get along. Our business houses were all on West Pine Street in the block between Nathan's corner and the Ross store. There were one or two little shacks on Holden Street. They had made a little fill on Holden Street in front of where Cohn's store ice and That drew a fine fish pond where the Cohn building stands. It was at least ten feet deep. "As for morality, Warrensburg was decidedly western then, and had plenty of saloons.
|Warrensburg Was a Saloon Town in the late 1860's.|
This is a typical Saloon of the time
but not in Warrensburg
|Original Foster School, Warrensburg, MO Grover at Maguire|
First Classes of State Normal of Warrensburg UCM were solid.
Site of the Jeff Collins lynching
Jeff Collins lynching at this site
|1869 Warrensburg, MO Bird's Eye View of the City, the artist Albert Ruger *|
|This is the actual 550 Train That Ran Through |
Warrensburg, MO twice weekly
|Warrensburg, Mo was a Frontier Town After the Civil War|
Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show Camerata
to Warrensburg Years Later
August 21, 1915 to ask the Exact Link
|By 1881 We Had Progressed to this in Warrensburg, MO |
Corner of West Pine and Holden, Facing East
A Characterization of Johnson County, MO 1850
Link Why Gay Street is Angled!
Link to 1873 Warrensburg Hotel Fire
The "Eureka Mills," well known to many of us, was built in 1867 by Country, Fike and Company. It was one of the Largest mills in the West, costing $ 40,000. Eleven hands were kept at work, besides eight or ten coopers making barrels for them, and shipped an average of a carload of 125 barrels daily. (See History of WL Hyer, who was with this establishment from an early day.) The Roseland Company now owns the property.
The Warrensburg Grain Elevator & Mill was built in 1869 by SM and EC Fitch. It has had many changes, was destroyed by fire, but its successor is still doing a large and Increasing Business at the Same Place.
The Magnolia Mill was completed October, 1879, and owned by WH Hartman and Isaac Mark Ward. It has had very few changes of ownership, HAS greatly Increased the size and business, and is now owned by The Magnolia Milling & Investment Company, a corporation in Which Messrs. Daniel Bullard and HF Kirk are the active members. It is the only mill now in Warrensburg making flour, making one fire, The Crystal, Which is very unusual and Normally can always sell more than They can manufacture.
Old Miscellaneous Industries .-Among the Industries of Warrensburg thathave lived and gone are:
1. The Warrensburg Brewery Established in 1865 by Philip Gross; Made as high as 2,000 barrels of beer annually: was burned down by the temperance forces in 1873: rebuilt, and finally load operated about 1910 by Mr. Murche.
2. The Edward L. DeGarmo & Company, Woolen Mills, built in 1867, and That Used to turn out 200 yards of goods daily, besides buying 'annually 30,000 pounds of wool sold as yarn.
3. The Foundry of David and WY Urie, Founded in 1874. Ran on West Pine Street, and used to make up 250,000 pounds of iron a year. Mr. William Urie, the load proprietor, moved to Kansas City sometime in the eighties.
The first Agricultural Fair was held in 1857 on the ground owned by Col. Ben W. Grover and close to the house. It was soon moved to twenty acres just south of town, run successfully for the war, reorganized after the war. and $ 15,000 spent in improvements; failed financially, and the grounds bought by Drummond & Bros., who did a fine molasses business there. Subsequently be fairs were held and race tracks built northwest of town, north of Electric Springs, they're abandoned, then south of town between Holden and Maguire Streets and they were finally abandoned a few years ago.
The Enoch Clark Library was founded in 1875 by a contribution from Enoch Clark of $ 200 on condition That the Citizens would raise a like amount. They did so, and a good library was established. It was burned January 10. 1877. Insurance used to buy new books and reopened with 552 books besides papers.
Post office .-Warrensburg post office was established in 1836. John Evans, a bachelor, was the first postmaster. The headquarters in the early days were in the various stores, and so Continued for many years after the war. The chief message from the east arrived late in the-evening, and the writer remembers as a boy joining in a nightly procession of the Citizens, most of them with lanterns, to the store where the post office was kept. While the message was being distributed in the proper boxes, the crowd Gradually Increased and soon became a very gay and neighborly party. This store was always distinctly the social center of the town. A marked deterioration was Noticeable, however, When They Took The Post Office out of the friendly setting of the store and put it in a building by itself. Then carriers were appointed and matters Became worse- we didn't have to go for the mail at all. Finally the gift, big, hard, business-like government building was secured, and that was the crushing blow. The Post Office, as a social institution, Became absolutely extinct.