|1910 Johnson County Missouri Courthouse|
|Ma Browns - Brown's Q-S Lunch|
112 Hout Street
AKA Old Barney's Today
112 Hout Street
1972 List of Bars and Liquour Stores
|The White House Store, Northeast corner of the courthouse square.|
Leslie Hutchens, Warrensburg, Missouri
|First Johnson County Courthouse in Missouri, 1876 it was a private residence.|
Today it is part of the Johnson County Missouri Historical Society
304 North Main Street, Warrensburg, Missouri
View Today Link
|Dockery Gymnasium, not the Court House, Warrensburg, MO|
|The Dea Peak Teacher's Agency, 500 S. Holden St. Warrensburg, MO|
|Gypsy Day at Boyle's Store, Warrensburg, MO North Holden Street|
|Theodore Shock's Garage and Automobile Salesroom, West Culton, St, Warrensburg, MO|
|Coach Clarence Whiteman, Warrensburg, MO|
|Looking East From Old Town Main Street to Warrensburg, Mo - History 1890's|
|St. Cloud Hotel, Holden St at Culton, 1890's Warrensburg, Mo - History|
|West Pine Street, 1890's Warrensburg, Mo History|
|South Methodist Church, Warrensburg, Mo History|
|Mural on Gay St at Holden|
|Sedalia Army Airfield|
|UCM Chapel on Campus Warrensburg, MO|
|Warrensburg Marble and Granite Works, Missouri 1890's|
Home Guards, State Normal College of Warrensburg #2, Missouri
|Commercial Hotel Rates Warrensburg, Missouri Daily and Weekly Rates 1915|
|Pertle Springs Railroad|
|West Pine Street, Warrensburg, Missouri 1890's - History|
|Riggle's Restaurant, Warrensburg, MO Buente Town, College Plaza|
|Coach Earl Keth, UCM; Warrensburg, MO|
|Marr's Drug Store, Downtown, Warrensburg, MO ca 1900|
|Vernon Kennedy, America's Greatest Athlete, Penn Relays Parade, Warrensburg, MO 1927|
|Commercial Hotel, Martin Hotel, Warrensburg Business College, MO 102 South Holden Street|
|The White House Store, Courthouse Square, Warrensburg, MO ca 1900|
100 Block, North Holden Street, Warrensburg, MO 1950's
|Howard School, Warrensburg, Missouri 1960?|
100 Block North Holden Street, Warrensburg, MO 1880's
|Kemper Home, Warrensburg, MO ca 1910|
|Vernaz Drug, the old store, before it collapsed after a train passed behind it.|
Hout Natatorium, Warrensburg, MO
|C. P. Lobboan Athletic Goods and Boston Candy Factory, Warrensburg, MO 1890's|
Warrensburg Lodge Elk's Parade 1903, North Holden Street, Missouri
Ewing's Barbecue Meats, Warrensburg, MO
|Bolton House, Warrensburg, MO 1840's construction|
|Magnolia Rolling Mills, Warrensburg, Missouri|
|John Nace, Warrensburg, MO High School Yearbook|
Archie Matthews, Bill Bob Dyer, Wayne Saunders, Don Downing, Bruce Achauer, Charles Morley, Keith Schreiman, James Everly, Ward Bense, Football Warrensbug Missouri Tigers
Brandy, United Entertainment Productions, Warrensburg, Missouri
|Johnny Nace, Jim Nace, Dave Nace, Mick Luehrman|
Bodies Flip City, Warrensburg, MO
|Warrensburg Missouri Kindergarten 1960-61|
Mrs. Muchmore AM Kindergarten
The Old Johnson County Courthouse
On the Old Town Square in Warrensburg remains the only surviving example of one of the most popular nineteenth century courthouse designs in Missouri. The Old Johnson County Courthouse still stands at its original location on North Main Street and through restoration efforts retains much of its Federal style.
Only four years after Johnson County was created, in 1838, construction was started on the building. William N. Wade was awarded the building contract and Harvey Dyer was designated the supervisor of construction. Martin Warren, for whom the town is named, originally owned the property on which the courthouse sits. One of the three commissioners who chose the site was Daniel Morgan Boone, son of Daniel Boone.
The initial $2500 appropriation was not enough to execute the original plan. To begin with, the plan called for a 44-by-36 foot, two-story brick building with three doors and a cupola (dome-like structure placed on the roof top). Lack of funds required the base to be modified to a 36 foot square and the anticipated cupola was never built.
After a prolonged construction period, the court accepted the building on July 28, 1842. Additional funding brought the final cost of the Old Courthouse to $2800. The entire first story with its brick floor housed the court and the wooden-floored second story contained offices. The exterior of the building was originally red brick, but was covered with buff-colored stucco in 1867.
The courthouse served as a federal garrison during the Civil War and was the center of Johnson County government activity until the railroad came to Warrensburg in 1864. Most of the business district slowly moved several blocks east toward the depot and ultimately a new courthouse was built in that neighborhood. Near the end of its use as a courthouse in 1870, the Old Drum trial took place, during which George Graham Vest delivered his classic speech, Eulogy of the Dog .
After 1871, the Old Courthouse was used as a school, a church, a courthouse again for a year, and finally a private residence during which time it was repeatedly remodeled. In 1965, the Johnson County Historical Society purchased the property and began restoration and preservation efforts guided by the original specifications.
Once again furnished as a courthouse with original items supplemented by period pieces, the building has been restored to its 1870 appearance. The plaque commemorating Vest’s famous speech remains at the entrance to the Old Courthouse.
The building is now part of the Johnson County Historical Society museum complex and is available for tours. The Old Johnson County Courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places.