On June 19th 1941 the world was introduced to Cheerios. Here are some fun facts:
- Cheerios were originally called Cheerioats.
- In their first year 1.8 million boxes were sold.
- They are puffed up by being shot through heat cannons.
- Each Cheerios measures 1/2 inch in diameter, and weighs .0025 ounces.
- In 1945 the name was changed to Cheerios (because of a conflict with another oat breakfast cereal, Quaker Oats ).
- Cheerios claims to be the first ready to eat cereal.
- 1960 was the first year the "Toasted Oat Cereal" slogan was used.
- 1979 Honey Nut Cheerios were introduced.
|1910 Chilhowee, Missouri (Lisa Irle) Johnson County Historical Society|